WAG Mononucleosis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
This is not my year- first the knee injury and now mono!

Just wondering if any one else has ever experienced this. If so, how long did it take for you or DD/DS to get back in the gym, and how long until full speed?

I know it's different for everyone, but this will give me a guesstimate and hopefully soothe my irrational fears of "OH GOD I'LL NEVER DO GYM AGAIN"

I had mono in December over Christmas but I was about 100% by the end of January. I was still able to do some less intense skills by the beginning of January. Hope you feel better and remember to rest! Just to mention I was cleared by a doctor to go back to practice so I'd suggest making sure it's okay with them.

Definitely check in with your doctor to make sure you don't have any spleen issues. If you're clear that way, you should be OK to go back when you're feeling up to it!

Recovery from mono can be extremely variable - weeks to months. Take it easy and get lots of rest. I echo what was said about getting clearance from your doc before doing anything thing with impact to the abdomen (bars).

I had it when I was 16. I'm 46 now. I lost over a month of my life! I barely remember it other than the not being able to swallow part. Lots of rest (as if you have a choice). Feel better soon.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'll definitely be out of commission for quite some time I think, unfortunately. However I'm glad to hear everyone recovered well!

My DD started the school year with it. She wasn't feeling too sick, but her liver was enlarged. She was told no gym, no nothing, for 6 weeks. At 3 week checkup dr said she could come back to gym at 4 weeks.
Now, she's not quite the norm. Not sure where she got her immunity, but it's great.

I had it in college. I remember dragging. Wanting to stay in bed until the end of time. My body hurt. My stomach hurt. Dr. said my spleen was 5X normal size, so I was not allowed to do anything but lay on the couch and watch movies. For two months.

When you're ready to go back, be prepared for having lost some strength. Typically with injuries, you can keep some other parts of your body conditioned. Unfortunately, with mono, you can't. It took my DD (11 year old L4 at the time) about a month to be back to fully normal.

Good luck! Take care of yourself, lots of fluids, etc, and listen to the dr!

had to look it up, thought it might be some rare tropical diseases that we don't get ! We call it Glandular fever - it can really take it out of you, so rest up and get better soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back