Off Topic More Hair

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

I figure what the heck. As much as I hate the bun it stays nice.

But end of year gym Olympics hair is more casual but up. If I told her a bun she would shoot me down. She hates it, knows its required for competition but volunteer, no how no way.

My girl has very fine silky hair. It doesn't hold a high pony well.

I'm open to suggestions.

There is matching scrunchie with the leo. Pony.

So what can I do to keep the hair up high.

Thanks all

Spray it or do it when it's slightly damp, brush it into a ponytail, secure it with one thick elastic. Braid it tightly and secure the bottom with a little elastic. Make a loop with the braid and tuck it I to the elastic you already have or wrap another big elastic around the whole thing. Put on the scrunchie. Use a little gel brushed in if you need to, but having it slightly damp will help a lot.

If it's not holding a ponytail well, then try not washing it for a bit before the day when you need to put it up that way. Clean hair is much more slippery.
Also try changing the hair elastic that you use. Big thick flat ones grip better, even on fine hair.

Sorry no help here. My DDs hair is the same, as is her patience level! Tho not mine, I quite like doing hair.

With her blessing she now has short hair (nape length at the back) and we just need to put the front bits back which I do in lots of little sections. Great thing is it stays looking ok all week and makes it through 12 hours of gym and 5 days of school :D I redo it again on Sundays :p

Best of luck - that type of hair is a challenge :mad:

My daughter has fine mid length hair, mostly she wears her hair in a bun as it stays in, we have to use water spray and gel to get the hair into a pony tail before doing a bun, we use the ballet bun method that I have seen posted on CB using little Bobby type pins, a bun net then a scrunchie and the more pins in the scrunchie. I cannot use hair spray in her hair as it make her sick.

I would love for her to try different style at practice as a bun must get in the way when doing rolls on the beam etc, I would love to be able to do a really good French Plait, I can do a passable one but it will not stay in for the entire practice, regular pony tails and plaits get in her way at gym, one this I do from time to time is do two bunches and then join them together at the bottom near the top of the neck into a pony tail, I then plait the pony tail and fold it in half if it is long and use tiny hair elastics (or loom bands in a emergency) and secure the pony tail at the top with a scrunchie.

Spray it or do it when it's slightly damp, brush it into a ponytail, secure it with one thick elastic. Braid it tightly and secure the bottom with a little elastic. Make a loop with the braid and tuck it I to the elastic you already have or wrap another big elastic around the whole thing. Put on the scrunchie. Use a little gel brushed in if you need to, but having it slightly damp will help a lot.

That is early what I was trying to explain but doing the hair in two bunches first before joining them together to make a pony tail.

I would love for her to try different style at practice as a bun must get in the way when doing rolls on the beam etc, I would love to be able to do a really good French Plait, I can do a passable one but it will not stay in for the entire practice,
I find Dutch plaits stay in much better than French plaits (which incidentally in France are called African plaits!) as the hair sits snuggly pulled in under the plait. My DD has amazing escape-artist hair and French plaits (unless done with tons of gel and spray) start to fall out within about 10 minutes. Dutch plaits will stay in all day. If she is doing rolls, especially on beam, it may be best to do two Dutch plaits. People sometimes think they are harder to do, but they really aren't - it is just a question of getting used to plaiting under rather than over.

I find Dutch plaits stay in much better than French plaits (which incidentally in France are called African plaits!) as the hair sits snuggly pulled in under the plait. My DD has amazing escape-artist hair and French plaits (unless done with tons of gel and spray) start to fall out within about 10 minutes. Dutch plaits will stay in all day. If she is doing rolls, especially on beam, it may be best to do two Dutch plaits. People sometimes think they are harder to do, but they really aren't - it is just a question of getting used to plaiting under rather than over.

Thanks, I will have a go and see if I can do them, I struggle with French Plaits so will more than likely struggle with Dutch Plaits, I have seen them though and think they look fantastic.

Thanks, I will have a go and see if I can do them, I struggle with French Plaits so will more than likely struggle with Dutch Plaits, I have seen them though and think they look fantastic.
Here is a video of dutch braiding, worth watching because there is a trick to the way you hold the hair which makes it easy.
Once you have the knack of it it is actually easier to get a tidy finish with a Dutch plait. Promise!
ETA I usually start with a higher up smaller section of hair than in this video which I think helps it to stay in better, but the video is a good example of how to hold the hair well.

Thank you all. Loving the braids.

What happens with a plain pony is her hair is so fine, she ends up looking like a ragamuffin by the end of the meet.

My daughter's hair is like that. I divide the top into 3 little pony tails, with those tiny clear elastics that are like the kind we use to use for braces. Then I braid those and secure with another time elastic. Then gather everything into a pony and gel/spray the heck out of it. Does that make sense? I can try and find a picture if you want.

YDD can not evenwear a regular pony to school - by the end of the dayit is so messy.

My DD's hair is also fine and long. It almost/kinda hits her her waistband on her pants (my rule/limit for length, cause... ick).

Anyway we do a high pony, but secure it with a thick pony holder and a scrunchie. We then braid the hair in the pony. DD actually takes extra thick pony holders that she can add as it loosens during practice.

We've also done those hairstyles with a series of pony tails, though she likes that less. :)

My daughter's hair is like that. I divide the top into 3 little pony tails, with those tiny clear elastics that are like the kind we use to use for braces. Then I braid those and secure with another time elastic. Then gather everything into a pony and gel/spray the heck out of it. Does that make sense? I can try and find a picture if you want.

YDD can not evenwear a regular pony to school - by the end of the dayit is so messy.

Please can you find a picture, sounds interesting.

Reactions: sce
This works really well for my youngest DD who has fine hair too. You can do it while wet and spray with hairspray!
bow bun.jpg

What does she hate about the bun? Is it to plain? If she thinks its to plain let me know because i have a great hairstyle in a bun-ish shape i could show you.

Coach determines hair. Competitive meets its bun. Exhibition type events high pony. She has pin straight slippery hair.

This summer she was more receptive to braids so hoping we can do something with braids and pony, in the coming year.

I really love that bow though.

Okay, but if you need to but her hair in a bun for practice, just put the hair in as high a pony as looks nice, the section it it into two pieces, then twist each half the same direction. Then twist them together and wrap it up. It looks kind of like a flower and DD loves it.

Please can you find a picture, sounds interesting.

Ok so I never saw this until today. This is way late and probably doesn't matter anymore, but I'll try to add a picture! :)

The only pic I have of the back is from her first meet with this style... It was before I braided the pony.

She's got two thick elastics in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 64

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back