MAG more optional confusion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

sce

Proud Parent
My ds is attending a local college camp this week. I chatted with parents from a few different places, multiple states. All of them have been told by their coaches that older kids can still do say level 8 or level 9 and just not go to regionals. ie a 15 yo level 8 or 17 yo level 9. Are people just confused?

I've seen the chart it lays out age groups pretty clearly and does not list anything above 14yo level 8 or 16 yo level 9 and that is what you've all told me here as well. Why do so many think it is different form that?

That is interesting! I mean, I am with you, the chart lays it out pretty clearly. And in the last quad the chart had the older age groups.

But I do think people are confused lol!

maybe thats what those areas are doing for JD?

DS's coach specifically looked into it for him as he had planned on L9 and forgot his late April birthday...but confirmed that he had to go Level 10. He specifically told DS he does not think its at all fair, so I'm pretty sure that's the coaching consensus here - maybe it will change?

Umm...in region one(at Regional Championships), level 7 had a 13+ age group and level 8 had 13, 14 and 15+ age groups. Even level 6 had 13+

Maybe not every region does this? I know they can't go to nationals at say, an 18 yr old level 8, but they can certainly go to regionals if they qualify at states.

But the new age groups starting this year do not have the older age groups listed like the last quad did. we had that this past quad as well. But the new age groups say that at level 8 you have to be 12 or 13/14, and at level 9 13-14, 15,16 and at 10, 15-15, 17-18. Otherwise you do JD as either 12-14yo or 15-18 yo. I think that is the confusing part for some.

Reactions: sce
What about compulsory levels? I have to say I am a bit confused there as well. Is there a new or pre-existing upper age limit for each compulsory level? (4-7?)

for 8-10, new age limits are as stated above according to our HC.

Umm...in region one(at Regional Championships), level 7 had a 13+ age group and level 8 had 13, 14 and 15+ age groups. Even level 6 had 13+

Maybe not every region does this? I know they can't go to nationals at say, an 18 yr old level 8, but they can certainly go to regionals if they qualify at states.

That was this year, next year is completely different.

There are no upper age limits until level 8.
Thanks OK so that means there is another option for boys who are aging out of 8- stay in level 7 until ready to move up to 9?

(Also, yay for me I think I just figured out how to quote....)

Thanks OK so that means there is another option for boys who are aging out of 8- stay in level 7 until ready to move up to 9?

(Also, yay for me I think I just figured out how to quote....)

yes. That is correct!

(and yay on the quoting!! )

But the new age groups starting this year do not have the older age groups listed like the last quad did. we had that this past quad as well. But the new age groups say that at level 8 you have to be 12 or 13/14, and at level 9 13-14, 15,16 and at 10, 15-15, 17-18. Otherwise you do JD as either 12-14yo or 15-18 yo. I think that is the confusing part for some.

So, thinking through this. . my DS competed last year as an 8 year old level 6. This year, he will (due to age changes) compete as a 10 year old Level 7. If the groups for Level 8 are ages 12 or 13/14 , this means he has to compete Level 7 again next year, correct?

So, thinking through this. . my DS competed last year as an 8 year old level 6. This year, he will (due to age changes) compete as a 10 year old Level 7. If the groups for Level 8 are ages 12 or 13/14 , this means he has to compete Level 7 again next year, correct?
Unless he does JE, then he can do level 8.

So, if he is doing JE then he can do level 8 as an 11 yo. But if he is doing JO he would need to repeat level 7 and do Level 8 as a 12 yo.

So, if he is doing JE then he can do level 8 as an 11 yo. But if he is doing JO he would need to repeat level 7 and do Level 8 as a 12 yo.

Did we ever figure out HOW an 11 year old qualifies to compete L8? Is it at Future Stars Nationals like the previous 10 year old L8 exceptions?

Did we ever figure out HOW an 11 year old qualifies to compete L8? Is it at Future Stars Nationals like the previous 10 year old L8 exceptions?
I know that 10 year olds have to qualify in the top 16 at Future Stars Nationals but from what I understand there is no qualification process as an 11 year old. Also from what I understand is that 11 year olds can only go to nationals as JE. My son has done 2 years of level 7 and next year he will be an 11 year old level 8.

I know that 10 year olds have to qualify in the top 16 at Future Stars Nationals but from what I understand there is no qualification process as an 11 year old. Also from what I understand is that 11 year olds can only go to nationals as JE. My son has done 2 years of level 7 and next year he will be an 11 year old level 8.

That was true this year. But next quad I do not think 10 yo can do level 8 at all. If 11 yo do level 8, they can only do it as JE. They cannot do JO level 8; you have to be 12 for that

@krc do 11 yo have to qualify to do JE level 8 like 10 yo used to have to? Or do they just have to do JE if they are 11 and L8?

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back