Parents Move Ups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is already signed up for 2 weeks of IGC camp.

My dd did IGC camp last summer when she was 8 and had a blast. She learned how to be independent, how to put her own hair up, etc... She did not learn anything in gymnastics. She kept up on conditioning and had fun. She did not come home ready to compete level 4. I don't in anyway regret sending her but she has chosen to stay at her gym this summer and not go to any camps.

No team practice in the summer would be a deal breaker for me and my dd.

@Deleted member 18037 -isn't this how you guys do it too? This camp thing in the summer? It must be a downstate NY thing. Here they just train all summer like normal, but usually with a different schedule that includes some daytime hours and often more hours. Every gym around here takes a little time off in the beginning and the end of summer, but trains like normal the other 8 weeks in the middle. It is considered ok if the family takes a vacation or misses some days though. It's always so interesting how different gyms do things!

Not a downstate thing as far as I'm aware of. Our gym, and all ones around us, have summer training hours. Not camps, just more intense hours. We are off from end of school (in 2 weeks) then start again after July 4. 18 hours for training 7.

This is Y, not a private club. I think our local Y doesn't have practices during the summer either. But they have a day camp all summer open to everyone (DD used to go there before she joined the team at a private club). They put all their "team" kids into a separate group, so I guess that was kind of their "summer training".

This is Y, not a private club. I think our local Y doesn't have practices during the summer either. But they have a day camp all summer open to everyone (DD used to go there before she joined the team at a private club). They put all their "team" kids into a separate group, so I guess that was kind of their "summer training".
It is a YWCA, not a YMCA. Big difference. And their team competes like a private club.
All the YMCA teams I know have summer practices at least part of the time. We take the month of July off, but have rec camp for 2 weeks and team girls can come and work out for free during those weeks (up to 10 hours ... 2 hours x 5 days).

No, we have regular training hours and additional weeks of camp. Non camp weeks regular schedule. Vamp weeks you can keep regular hours, do 5 mornings or 5 full days.

Until this thread I've never heard of a gym that has a ream that doesn't do summers.
Thanks! Sorry I misunderstood :)

We used to be at a Y and had practice all summer.

OP- have you looked at other gyms? My 7 & 9 year olds will be going 16 hours over the summer. I can't imagine taking the summer off.

Different gyms do have different philosophies about competing at lower compulsory levels. DD's team had a preteam that taught them skills all the way up to what's now L4, but they didn't start competing until at L4. It's hard to remember back that far, but I think preteam did not have regular summer practices but encouraged the girls to do several weeks of camp AT THE GYM -- not at International Gymnastics Camp or Woodward, but at the gym for which they were eventually going to compete.

I think you should see what happens with the evaluation and if she makes the team, figure out what that means about when she's expected to be ready to compete and when the first meets will take place. If your gym does not do early season states in NY (and not every gym does!), it could be completely reasonable to train for six weeks out of the summer, heighten the intensity in the fall, and then do the first meet around Thanksgiving or afterward. To get a sense of the success of the gym's training program, look at where the higher level girls are, especially those who started out in that gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back