Anon Moving up to Gold or staying in Silver?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a 7th grader who was a first-year Silver last season. I was the highest-scoring gymnast on my team and placed very well at States (and missed Regionals by a hair!!!) Because of this, my coaches think that I could do Gold if I am up for the challenge.

My beam and bars are ready for Gold and my FHS vault is okay, but I would struggle on floor. My back tumbling is kind of weak due to my multiple injuries and toe walking which is why they think I could also benefit from another year in Silver. I could also use the second year in Silver to get more consistent on the Gold skills I already have. But I really want to move up to Gold. I love to challenge myself and would love to have more time to practice.

If I stayed in Silver one more year, I would have another year to polish my skills for Gold, score high, and possibly qualify for Regionals. If I moved up to Gold, I would score lower and have to work even harder to catch up on floor, but I would really enjoy the challenge and spending more time in the gym. I'm very conflicted. Please give advice.

If your beam and bars are gold-ready, I would go for it! You can do Gold floor without back tumbling...just get creative! My daughter had a back tumbling block for the first half of her gold season, and she just adapted her routine.

When does your competition season start? I'm guessing that you have at least 4-5 months before your first meet. I'd go for gold. It's better to be challenged and work hard than be bored repeating. Plus, you can always repeat gold the following year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back