WAG Music ideas for 7 year old moving to optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't have any suggestions, but I love what everyone else has posted. We'll be choosing here in a few weeks for DD who is also 7yo heading into optionals. I'll be watching this thread. :)

My DD isn't near optionals yet, but at her gym there are 2 that I would like for a younger girl, the song from Merry Poppins ( not sure of name, but something like ChimChimeny) and also a song from Bug's Life.

Ok, this is way off topic. How are 7 year olds able to go optional with the age minimum restrictions? I'm asking because I have a 6 year old DD who is the only one on her L4 team doing kip-cast-HS and scores well (although they don't start competing L4 until January). She will barely (by a couple of weeks) make the minimum age requirement for competing L4. I know some gyms competing one level in fall & another for spring, but our gym is one level per year. So there's no way she could make optionals by next year...is there?? She's competing tops next summer too. It's frustrating.

People often do a season of level 4 and then the following year a score out meet of 5 and go to level 6 or 7. Or they do a score out meet of level 4 followed by most of a season of 5 and then level 6 or 7 the following year.

Not ideal for everyone. Unless you are testing elite then steady through the levels is fine.

Ok, this is way off topic. How are 7 year olds able to go optional with the age minimum restrictions? I'm asking because I have a 6 year old DD who is the only one on her L4 team doing kip-cast-HS and scores well (although they don't start competing L4 until January). She will barely (by a couple of weeks) make the minimum age requirement for competing L4. I know some gyms competing one level in fall & another for spring, but our gym is one level per year. So there's no way she could make optionals by next year...is there?? She's competing tops next summer too. It's frustrating.

My daughter made the L4 cut off of 7 years old by about a month this last spring for States. So most of the season she was 6 years old as a L4. She is competing L5 currently for Fall season. She is currently training L7 skills so they are planning for her to not compete optionals this winter like usual for our area because that doesn't give her much time to learn all new choreographed routines (there is one month between her state meet in compulsory and optionals season starting). The coaches plan to have her score out of L7 next year in the 2015-16 season and compete L8. I have no idea if she'll be ready for L8 or if she'll compete L7 longer. Time will tell. It is very common to skip L6 though so this doesn't seem extreme of a goal for her.

My daughter made the L4 cut off of 7 years old by about a month this last spring for States. So most of the season she was 6 years old as a L4. She is competing L5 currently for Fall season. She is currently training L7 skills so they are planning for her to not compete optionals this winter like usual for our area because that doesn't give her much time to learn all new choreographed routines (there is one month between her state meet in compulsory and optionals season starting). The coaches plan to have her score out of L7 next year in the 2015-16 season and compete L8. I have no idea if she'll be ready for L8 or if she'll compete L7 longer. Time will tell. It is very common to skip L6 though so this doesn't seem extreme of a goal for her.
Wow, so the goal is level 8 by 8yo. That is amazing.

Are there other gyms in your area? It sounds like she could be ready for at least level 7 by the following year (ie test out of level 5.) Though I have no idea what her other skills are.

Music by Disney, Cirque du Soleil and Andrew Lloyd Webber isn't covered by the British Gymnastics license to play music at public events. Gymnasts can use this music but need their own license for it I believe (I have heard the odd piece of disney/cirque music at comps so I assume this is what happened). It really does make choosing music for the little ones a lot harder!

That's awesome!! I was just confused but that's great she's been able to do that. My DD would love it! Good luck to your daughter. I'm loving this music thread. Can't wait until my girl gets there.

Music by Disney, Cirque du Soleil and Andrew Lloyd Webber isn't covered by the British Gymnastics license to play music at public events. Gymnasts can use this music but need their own license for it I believe (I have heard the odd piece of disney/cirque music at comps so I assume this is what happened). It really does make choosing music for the little ones a lot harder!
Wow, so not just Disney but a lot of Broadway. Sounds like the more classical route is often required then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back