WAG Need info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My family and I recently moved to Japan and my daughter is an elite gymnast, I have been searching for gyms out here for her to attend I was wondering if anyone knew of a gym she could go to and keep the same level of training?

I am sure we had a member here who had their DD/'s training in Japan and researched first. Heck there have been numerous posts on this forum (and others) over the years about moving and how to find a gym in that location (plus language barrier questions) prior and many of those were not high level gymnasts. Just parents trying to find a gym and hopefully something familiar during a time of great change.
I can't imagine a parent who has already committed to their child's elite training, just doing it on the fly after the fact.

I don’t know any gyms in Japan but I think it would be helpful if you shared the island and city where you are living. Also, it might help to share the country where your daughter last competed and her level in that system.

you moved all the way to Japan, and didn’t research this before making this move?
@Ty’s Dad and everyone else this move wasn’t because of gymnastics I am in the military so the move had to be made also I’ve done numerous research for gyms and everything I just wanted to see if anyone else that is like myself or know of someone out here in Yokosuka Japan. I saw this site and asked the question obviously this is the wrong site to come to. Thanks anyway.

I figured it might be military - but then the elite gymnast bit threw me because it seems almost cruel to start a child down that path when in two years gymnastics may not even be an option due to moving requirements. Have you reached out to the current coach? - surly they can get in contact with other elite US coaches who have ties to Japan. I was under the impression that US gym's usually go above and beyond to help/accommodate their military families.

Given the excellent public transport and relative safety for kids traveling in Japan - I would guess you can potentially have a wider net, it's only an hour to Tokyo on the train. Have you tried the Japanese gym fed for help?

@Ty’s Dad and everyone else this move wasn’t because of gymnastics I am in the military so the move had to be made also I’ve done numerous research for gyms and everything I just wanted to see if anyone else that is like myself or know of someone out here in Yokosuka Japan. I saw this site and asked the question obviously this is the wrong site to come to. Thanks anyway.
Yeah I figured you was in the military, but the problem is what US coach, that knows it’s gymnast doesnt have a choice but to move won’t help out? Especially in the “elite world” aint know way your coach said go on a website and find the best gym. They should have had it all planned out for you. But anyway good luck and hope everything works out for you and your daughter. Thank you for your service

Originally from Japan here. Yokosuka is not too far from Tokyo/Yokohama so you should have a lot of options. 2021 Floor Champion Mai Murakami trained at the Yukio Iketani Gymnastics Club. Asahi Life is another club that has produced Japanese national team members. Note that clubs in Japan tend to have several gym locations within the same region but one main location that would train high level/elites. I would do some research and try reaching out. Good luck!

Check out the fb group military Meets gymnastics

I think what threw most people off here was that you called your daughter an "elite gymnast" to most of us in this forum that means that your duaghter has qualified as either a Jr or Sr Elite gymnast. The group of gymnasts that qualify as elite is a very select few and takes a very dedicated coach, gymnast and family. It is hard for any of us to imagine a coach doing all the work that it takes to get a gymnast to the elite level and then just letting them move to another country without helping them plan their training.

I think what threw most people off here was that you called your daughter an "elite gymnast" to most of us in this forum that means that your duaghter has qualified as either a Jr or Sr Elite gymnast. The group of gymnasts that qualify as elite is a very select few and takes a very dedicated coach, gymnast and family. It is hard for any of us to imagine a coach doing all the work that it takes to get a gymnast to the elite level and then just letting them move to another country without helping them plan their training.
Exactly

As a JR Elite gymnast, hasn't your daughter's coaching team been able to help out coordinating with gyms prior to your move? While military orders can come fast, family PCS moves overseas take some time, so I'm suprized this coordination didn't happen before the move? Your question threw many people off because Elite is a very specific term to use (and normally if someone was JR Elite, that would state that specifically, not just use the term Elite) , Japan is a pretty big country without specific location, and its odd that her coach/coaches hadn't helped with coordination.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back