Parents Need to make tough camp decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momto2js

Proud Parent
Ds is 8 and a level 5. There is one level 4 that trains with the level 5s because his sister has practice at that time and it workd better for the family. This boy anf my son are the same size so they are often i line next to each other. To say my son dislikes the company of this teammate would be an under statement.

The other minis really doesn't want to be there, and does things to irritate my kid (his favorite it to lick him when he isnt expecting it). We have managed to handle the practice situation bit it still isnt ideal.

I knew the family was Solano g to send the daughter to Woodward tje same week we planned to go. But now because of child care issues, they are planning to send ds too. Because they are close to the same age I'm sure they would be cabin mates and my son would be miserable. We have the flexibility to change weeks if needed. I am at a loss for what to do. I honestly cant see the kid lasting the whole week but I can see him totally making my kid miserable.

Generally I am all about "you cant control what other people do" but I dont want to pay to send him into a situation that has little chance of success. I cant imagine sending a kid to a sports camp if they weren't really into it. So the question is, should we change when we go or make the best of it??

Agreed! Change weeks. Something came up and you needed to. Wait to mention it until the deadline to change has passed or don't mention it at all otherwise they may change too.

Are there any reasons not to change weeks? I would absolutely do it. Also I'm sure you have probably already done this but if not, it is worth explaining to your son that the other kid probably feels out of place and inferior and is acting badly to try to get attention. This won't stop it happening but my experience had been that understanding bad behavior helps others to cope with it.

Some kids with behavioural disorders ( and everything is a spectrum- other kid may not be diagnosed) and will often attempt friendship overtures by being annoying.

I would explain this to your son- that the other kid may just be trying to be friends.

But then I'd definitely rebook camp, as these behaviours are very wearing.

Sounds like OP's son is being very tolerant so far. Good luck:)

Yes! Switch weekends! You're right you can't control what other people do and sounds like you've taught that lesson well. But you want your kids to have a positive fun experience! If you can offer him that- DO it!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back