Parents Working parents - not welcome ?? (Driving)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I work part time is how. And I help out others by driving their kids too, and then they drive mine home so I don't have to go back again. We live 20-30 mins away depending on traffic, school finishes at 3pm and gym starts at 4pm and goes to 8pm. I work 9.15-2.15 on gym days (and 9.15-5.30 on the others) which gives me enough time to get to work after takingbthe kids to school and enough time to get home in time to pick them up.
The changing training times during school holidays drives me nuts though - we usually only get a few days notice of it and in summer we might get a message the day before that they've moved it because its going to be really hot that day.
Luckily the other mum that shares the driving with me tends to work afternoons and not mornings so can do some pick ups and drop offs during the day. And my work is ok with me working from home and shifting my hours around a bit.

My wife and I have been full-time gymnastics coaches for over 25 years. We had to hire drivers / nannies and use carpools for many years for our own personal kids. Most of our team families do not have stay at home parents. The opposite actually… most have two working parents.

OP, does your team have a family/team directory? It might not hurt to reach out to other parents via email to see if there's a group of families interested in carpooling.

My wife and I have been full-time gymnastics coaches for over 25 years. We had to hire drivers / nannies and use carpools for many years for our own personal kids. Most of our team families do not have stay at home parents. The opposite actually… most have two working parents.
Ah I see. Thank you for sharing how you guys made it work!

My gym just happens to have more stay at home parents so I just assumed that that was the norm. Glad to know it's NOT

OP, does your team have a family/team directory? It might not hurt to reach out to other parents via email to see if there's a group of families interested in carpooling.
I never knew that was a thing! I'll look into that thanks!

I work part time is how. And I help out others by driving their kids too, and then they drive mine home so I don't have to go back again. We live 20-30 mins away depending on traffic, school finishes at 3pm and gym starts at 4pm and goes to 8pm. I work 9.15-2.15 on gym days (and 9.15-5.30 on the others) which gives me enough time to get to work after takingbthe kids to school and enough time to get home in time to pick them up.
The changing training times during school holidays drives me nuts though - we usually only get a few days notice of it and in summer we might get a message the day before that they've moved it because its going to be really hot that day.
Luckily the other mum that shares the driving with me tends to work afternoons and not mornings so can do some pick ups and drop offs during the day. And my work is ok with me working from home and shifting my hours around a bit.
That's great to hear about your flexible work schedule! Also cool you have another gym mom who helps out.

Is this a team effort? Are their some kids you drive who's parents can't/don't reciprocate? I'd feel bad being the one who gets my kids carpooled and not drive the others back and fourth.

I did have one where I and another mum was doing the majority and ayhirer was just doing it occasionally. She kind of moved around a few different groups for pooling and gave people gift cards to try and make up for it. But it was a bit awkward . Plus her kid would often be "too tired" to go so it was a bit of a hassle. I think she gets one of her parents to take them now on the days she can't.
Usually I do drop offs but not pick ups unless the other is sick, excect school holidays but it works out kind of even.

Dependng how many are in the group, if you can at least do once a week it would probably be best - or offer to contribute to fuel.

At our gym, when we were first on team, 7 girls from 4 families carpooled together. They were best friends who all lived in the same neighborhood. We practiced 3 days a week. One of the families only rarely drove for either pick-up or drop-off. She did give $20 toward gas every week ... although, most of that money went to ice cream from McDonalds on the way home at least once a week, lol.

OMG, yes. That’s a common schedule but so hard. Parents around us carpool and even hire babysitters to drive the kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back