MAG New Age requirements for men's gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hi, I am new to Chalk Bucket! I was wondering if anyone out there has had any issue with the new minimum age requirement for each level for men's competition? My 7 year-old competed last year at level 4 and moved up to level 5...however the minimum age now is 7 for level 5.....my son turned 7 on September 2nd. His coach got word that he may not be able to compete at level 5 because the age is determined as of September 1st? He is already moving on to level 6 moves, as he has mastered most of the level 5 skills. Has anyone heard of this "new" requirement for 2012?
Thanks!!

Actually, the requirement has been there all along. But I believe you can "play up" one year. But I am not 100% sure under the new rules. So many of the age ranges have changed this year. Maybe someone more knowledgable will know!

Thanks so much! I asked his coach to petition for him to compete at level 5, only because he has already learned all of the routines for this season. Crossing my fingers! Thanks again!

My son was able to compete L5 last year. He turned 7 late September. Officially he was listed as a 6yo and competed with the 7yo group or whatever the lowest age group was. Not sure about this year.

Age is determined as of September 1st, but gymnasts are allowed to "play up" one year. So even though USAG considers him a 6 year old due to the fact that he was 6 on september 1st, he can still compete as a 7 year old.

Nope. He's repeating Level 5 because he's young and and needs another year to grow. (and for me to get ready to watch him doing the L6 routines!). His coach and I agree that he has a long time to be doing this sport so why rush things. They let him up train all summer and he got a lot of his L6 skills but he's fine with competing Level 5 again.

Thanks for the information....just received word that this year there is a strict no-exception rule that the boys must compete as their age as of september 1, and that L5 requires kids to be at least 7.....my son turned 7 on September 2 and will not be allowed to compete at L5? He is devastated. He has worked hard all year and is so disappointed to find out today that he has to move back to L4. Do you think there is any request or petition that could make a difference for him? He lost his dad to brain cancer when he was 5, and gymnastics has truly been his "therapy".....I hate seeing him sad and disappointed! Thanks so much for the input!

I know it is hard. My ds did 3 years of level 5, and was very upset when he had to do the 3rd year. There are a ton of bonuses now, so maybe focus on that, and the fun aspect of it all, and not so much on the competition part. Men's Gymnastics is a LONG road, so taking it slow is never a bad thing. And just think of how much stronger he will be at level 5 next year! He actually has a great birthday for gymnastics :)

I hope it goes well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back