Parents New Gym Evaluation Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

notthatmom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I'm looking into switching my daughter to a different gym. As much as I really don't want to, her school schedule will make it impossible to get her to pre-team practice on time. So, reluctantly I'm gym hunting. I have set up a couple evaluations at other gyms in the area, so they can decide where she would fit at their program.

One gym however (and I told them I'm looking to switch gyms, I asked to schedule an eval) suggested that I sign her up for their rec class through the end of he session (about 5 weeks) and from there they can decide where to put her.

Is this weird to anyone else? I'm not going to just start her somewhere new without knowing if I'm happy with the gym or not. I feel like part of the evaluation visit is making sure my daughter likes the gym, right?

Anyway, these are the things that keep me up at night.....

You're DD was recently invited to preteam, right? If that's the case, and you want to stay on the same track, it's important to have her evaluated for a potential gym's preteam. At the same time, someone who hasn't yet started preteam is essentially a rec gymnasts so it makes a sort of sense that a gym might want her to try a rec class. They may not even have a preteam? I would make sure all the gyms know you are looking for a team track. I thought it was standard for even rec classes to have a trial class, though, and I wouldn't sign up for over a month without a trial either.

You're DD was recently invited to preteam, right? If that's the case, and you want to stay on the same track, it's important to have her evaluated for a potential gym's preteam. At the same time, someone who hasn't yet started preteam is essentially a rec gymnasts so it makes a sort of sense that a gym might want her to try a rec class. They may not even have a preteam? I would make sure all the gyms know you are looking for a team track. I thought it was standard for even rec classes to have a trial class, though, and I wouldn't sign up for over a month without a trial either.
Yes she was just invited, and I let this gym know that. They have a "Training Team" which is essentially the same thing. I'd be totally fine if they evaluated her, then told me they'd like to keep her in rec for a few more weeks to see how it goes, but it's strange that they just over the phone said they wanted to have me sign her up for rec without even seeing her first, or having DD come check out the gym.

Yes she was just invited, and I let this gym know that. They have a "Training Team" which is essentially the same thing. I'd be totally fine if they evaluated her, then told me they'd like to keep her in rec for a few more weeks to see how it goes, but it's strange that they just over the phone said they wanted to have me sign her up for rec without even seeing her first, or having DD come check out the gym.
Agree. I was just making sure I had a handle on the situation. I would shuffle that gym to the bottom of the list, personally.

Agree. I was just making sure I had a handle on the situation. I would shuffle that gym to the bottom of the list, personally.
Fortunately, they were already at the bottom....so I guess that makes my decision just a tad easier

It is normal to have you come in for a brief eval w/ a coach, and then be asked to come back to try an appropriate class or two. The 5-wk rec class is quite unusual. I generally respect a team that insists upon multiple day or week-long tryouts because I believe it is important to know it is a good fit from both sides for a good team environment, but at a rec or pre-team level, I suspect they want to get you in the door so it is harder to leave.

This gym sounds hinky to me. I agree... AFTER the evaluation, it might make sense to finish out a term in the appropriate rec level class to make sure the fit is right... but BEFORE they see her - how would they even know what rec level she should be?

I suspect they want to get you in the door so it is harder to leave.

This exactly. No way am I paying a registration fee, and class tuition just to "try out" the gym. Makes no sense at all.

This gym sounds hinky to me. I agree... AFTER the evaluation, it might make sense to finish out a term in the appropriate rec level class to make sure the fit is right... but BEFORE they see her - how would they even know what rec level she should be?
Right!? After I told them that her current gym wants to put her on pre-team, they asked how old she was, and how long she's been in gymnastics, and that's when she proposed this plan....

I was thinking "what?! How can you possibly gauge her skill of off what I just told you?"

Edited to add: Also, I love the word "hinky"

One gym however (and I told them I'm looking to switch gyms, I asked to schedule an eval) suggested that I sign her up for their rec class through the end of he session (about 5 weeks) and from there they can decide where to put her.

Sounds like what I would say if I was not really that interested in getting your family on our team...or it's just a weak team program in general.

or it's just a weak team program in general.

I have a feeling that has something to do with it. They're not known for producing high level gymnasts...but their rec and lower levels are ok. Main reason why they're at the bottom of my list.

Right!? After I told them that her current gym wants to put her on pre-team, they asked how old she was, and how long she's been in gymnastics, and that's when she proposed this plan....

I was thinking "what?! How can you possibly gauge her skill of off what I just told you?"

Edited to add: Also, I love the word "hinky"
Hinky is a great word :-) The biggest problem I have about them suggesting rec from another gym offering pre-team is that pre-team means different things at different gyms. Some gyms have a pre-team for LEVEL 1 (not that there is anything wrong with that, but...) while other gyms have pre-teams that are getting gymnasts ready for level 4 - kinda a big difference there. And some pre-teams focus on shapes and conditioning and drills while others want the girls to do that plus actually learn routines. Some pre-teams actually compete and others never do until they are on team.

I briefly worked at a gym that did this. They just wanted money. They only did evals on kids who had previously competed for other gyms. Any other kid had to start in their beginner class and "be evaluated during class" to see where they belonged. Parents would rightfully get pissed off because they only evaluated for the skills taught in that level class. So if a kid really belonged in advanced rec or on pre-team, they would still have to stay in beginner long enough to get tested on every beginner skill on every event before they could move to intermediate (took about 6 classes to get through the skills). Then they took another 6 classes to test and move the kid to advanced rec. They also charged a fee to be on their wait list for a full class and if your kid had to miss because they broke their arm/leg, you were pressured into paying for the classes they would miss to hold their spot since it would most likely be taken when their injury healed. I never once heard them say that they were sorry that your kid broke a bone, just lots of scare tactics about losing your spot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back