Parents New Gym Mom!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tgreen76

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, what a great forum! I wanted to say hello and it looks like I am going to learn a ton here. My daughter is 5 (just turned 5 in March) and started gymnastics in August. After a few months her coach asked if she would like to move up to the advanced tots class but she had soccer on that day. Soccer ended so we moved and the first day the coach asked if I would ever be interested in her competing. That they had a grooming type team for 5-6 girls only that were showing potential and she wanted her to show their coach her skills to see what she thought. The coach said she would do great and we moved her over. This week was just her 4th time in the new class and she loves it. She gets to go into the "big gym" even though she isn't 6 yet. She is the youngest by 8 or 9 months I think. She had bars yesterday and struggled a bit b/c she is just building up her strength. Would you recommend just keeping her in the one class (just 1 hour a week) at this age since she is still so young or should I look into maybe adding an additional class?

If you have concerns or questions, talk to the coach and then follow his/her lead. It sounds like they have an eye on your daughter.

Welcome to the board:)

At my daughter's gym that kind of class is considered preteam or "hot shots." She was in the class for a year. They started training (1.5 hours once a week) that group of girls to prepare them for team. Then at the beginning of the summer, the ones from the group who were ready to compete this Fall, were moved onto the Level 2 team and started practicing 2 hours twice per week. Our competition season runs from Oct-March. The ones who weren't ready or old enough this time around will likely move up to team next year. Once they are on a preteam track, I think the schedule becomes more and more demanding as time goes on. You could ask the coach about how their time table typically works to know a little bit what to expect:)

At my daughter's gym that kind of class is considered preteam or "hot shots." She was in the class for a year. They started training (1.5 hours once a week) that group of girls to prepare them for team. Then at the beginning of the summer, the ones from the group who were ready to compete this Fall, were moved onto the Level 2 team and started practicing 2 hours twice per week. Our competition season runs from Oct-March. The ones who weren't ready or old enough this time around will likely move up to team next year. Once they are on a preteam track, I think the schedule becomes more and more demanding as time goes on. You could ask the coach about how their time table typically works to know a little bit what to expect:)
Thanks! Yes, that is very much what it sounds like. Since she just started last month in the new class, that is where she will start next season too. There are a couple of girls moving up so I assume other "newbies" will move into their place. The class is only 6 girls max (I think) so it's pretty cool. She is super excited and wants to go more. I told her that if she keeps working and enjoys it the time will come.

On my DD's L2 team last year (we compete at L2) there was a 5 yo and she kept up just fine at 7 hours a week. I know the amount of hours seems shocking at first. But the kids usually seem to adapt pretty quickly, especially if they have that burning passion for gymnastics. If she is asking for more and you can fit it into your schedule I'd add the additional class. A good sign is she is asking for more. I usually hold my daughter back a little til she begs for me...best to prevent burn out that way ;) My DD (7) goes 10 hours a week now and is begging for the additional 2 our gym offers. I held her back from it all summer and told her she can start the extra two hours this week. {A little reverse psychology to keep that burning passion :)}

^^^meant "til she begs for more" not "me"!
Haha - thanks! We register for the new season on Monday. What is weird is that the "mini mights" class she is in, there is only 1 of them so I'm not sure what other class she would fit into. I'll have to talk to her coach.

Welcome! I have a young gymnast too! They have their eye on her, they will move her up when they think she's ready. A lot of it had to do with strength with my dd. She just didn't have the strength the other girls had. My dd just got moved up to level 2 pre-team, it was an adjustment going from one hour a week to 4. Congrats on your little gymnast moving up!!

Sounds like they are moving her along. I'd talk to them about the additional class to see what they think. I do think the more time in the gym, the more strength they have but I would let her coaches decide. If she's ready, they'll progress her to more advanced groups & more hours.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back