Parents New Mantra Heard from Coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
With all of the talk of moving up and what group our DDs are in right now, I thought you all would enjoy what I heard DD coach say after being asked for probably 100th time what level is ----- He was jumping on tramp (girls were getting ready for pit bar) and every time he bounced he said, There...are...no...levels... just skills... just get the skills. It seemed to relax everyone for a bit because, in our case at least, there are no "levels" girls are working on what skills they can acquire next and THEN they will see what level best meets those sets of skills they have.
Just thought I would share a different perspective.

DD's coach said almost the exact same thing earlier this year. When DD got her flyway, one of her teammates congratulated her saying, you're done L6 now you can go on to L7! The coach explained that DD had just obtained a new skill, and that she isn't level anything.

I think this is a great approach..... Kids might work higher level skills on one apparatus than another and can excel at their own speed.

Must be a common theme! The girls keep saying things like I need a layout for level 7. The coaches say "We are training skills, not levels."

My dd's gym is taking this approach with the optionals this year. I like it because it seems the girls are more in control of where they compete next year.

Great thread!...it's very true...

...levels are like trophies...you don't learn them...you earn them.

Get your skills!

Our HC sent an email out to all the team parents before the summer schedule came out explaining this very thing. He said that all the groups (which are designated by letters) are training skills and that no level determinations will be made until the end of the summer. Our staff received an email stating that no staff are to tell any parents or gymnasts that they will be competing X level. (In part b/c he is still deciding what levels we will compete as a gym, but also to reinforce the concept of training skills, not levels.) Of course, some parents are still trying to figure out right now what level "susie" will compete next fall.

.......He said that all the groups (which are designated by letters) are training skills and that no level determinations will be made until the end of the summer........... no staff are to tell any parents or gymnasts that they will be competing X level. (In part b/c he is still deciding what levels we will compete as a gym, but also to reinforce the concept of training skills, not levels.)

That's a great way of doing it. I'd rather see my own child work at getting more proficient, in the sports he participates in, and let the competition preps wait until two weeks before the first competition. Applying that standard to gymnastics wouldn't work at every level because of the risk of injuries to kids trying to figure skills out at meets. It would work great at the compulsory levels, and would give kids a better foundation for moving toward the optional programs.

Just a guess, htimcj, but it sounds like this coach is a 'keeper'. ;)

That's a great way of doing it. I'd rather see my own child work at getting more proficient, in the sports he participates in, and let the competition preps wait until two weeks before the first competition. Applying that standard to gymnastics wouldn't work at every level because of the risk of injuries to kids trying to figure skills out at meets. It would work great at the compulsory levels, and would give kids a better foundation for moving toward the optional programs.

Just a guess, htimcj, but it sounds like this coach is a 'keeper'. ;)

i love both of her coaches! Most definitely keepers!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back