Parents New member! Question about PreTeam TeamGym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AndieRose

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site but I have a question regarding my five-year old. She's been in rec gym for the last nine months, has advanced through KinderGym, and very recently started girls level A early. We attended open tryouts for TeamGym and she was placed in Pre-Team with seven other girls. I'm told this is not a competition team, but set-up to introduce the youngest gymnasts to performing a routine in front of a group. They practice three hours a week and perform at meets, but do note compete. The pricing is also considerably less than Team 1, 2, 3, etc. We want to commit because my DD loves gymnastics and practices on her own for fun, so I'm all for extra time in the gym. My question is, does this seem like a class for all of the kids who didn't make level 1, just so the gym can make money off of hopeful kids? I hate to be so jaded, I just have limited time and money, since I'm a full-time student and we are living on only my husbands salary. If she has a talent and a love for gymnastics I'm willing to make the time and money commitment, but I don't want to be in a class that is just trying to milk more money out of me for no reason. Does that make sense? Sorry about the long post!

Most gyms have a pre-team of some sort. This class usually intended to give little ones or older ones with no experience a chance to learn the new skill necessary to compete the "real" team levels.

They definitely don't have her in that class just to milk more money out of you.
For our gym at least, pre-team is the highest "Rec" level class, and it's invitation only.
Sounds like your dd has advanced very quickly which is great! Pre-team is going to help her get to where she needs to be in order to get to level 3 and start competing. (I know every gym is different but it sounds very similar to how it works for us where I am)

Yes TeamGym is not the same thing as artistic gymnastics. They do floor programme, trampette and tumbling. It's a pretty new sport! The first official competition was actually held in Finland (where I live) in 1996. It's a super fun sport and they compete as a team which makes it even more fun. In the past all the TG gymnast were former artistic gymnast but nowadays they have low levels for young kids too. I think 5 is still very young but I don't know when they start competing in the US. In here they can start competing at 7 years old.

Do you know if they ever put 5 year olds to train 3, they just don't compete yet? Just generally curious.

I guess it depends on what you mean by train level 3. There are a lot of 5 year olds training for level 3 in preteams in the sense that they are drilling the level 3 skills, but it would be highly unusual for a 5 year old to be able to keep up the routines with most level 3 teams that are competing. So no. That wouldn't happen at most large gyms that have defined teams. I'm sure it happens at smaller gyms.

I guess it depends on what you mean by train level 3. There are a lot of 5 year olds training for level 3 in preteams in the sense that they are drilling the level 3 skills, but it would be highly unusual for a 5 year old to be able to keep up the routines with most level 3 teams that are competing. So no. That wouldn't happen at most large gyms that have defined teams. I'm sure it happens at smaller gyms.
That makes sense. I just wasn't sure what happened if a gymnast was ready for L3 but not 6 years old yet. We had one very young L3 at our gym this past season and I always wondered how she got on that early. I think she turned 6 right as competition season started though.

She may also be on preteen because she can't compete until she is 6. Usag rules
Actually that depends on the level. Some gyms compete level 1 and 2. For level 1 you have to be 4yo and level 2 5yo.

As for the original question: Does this pre-team only lead to this Team Gym or is there the potential to move to the competition team? "Is it just a way for the gym to make money?" Well I'm sure it's not just that. It is an opportunity for kids who love gymnastics to do gymnastics. But if your little one wants to be on the competition team, then check that that is still an option.

Interesting...I have never heard of Team Gym. I'd love to hear more. Are you in the US? I learn something about gymnastics every day!

Actually that depends on the level. Some gyms compete level 1 and 2. For level 1 you have to be 4yo and level 2 5yo.

As for the original question: Does this pre-team only lead to this Team Gym or is there the potential to move to the competition team? "Is it just a way for the gym to make money?" Well I'm sure it's not just that. It is an opportunity for kids who love gymnastics to do gymnastics. But if your little one wants to be on the competition team, then check that that is still an option.
Thanks for the advice. I checked with the gym today and they said it doesn't exclude her from artistic, and there are kids who do both. I was worried she might get locked into one path when she hasn't had enough experience to choose yet. I'm very adamant that this is ultimately her decision, and that she feels no pressure to go a certain way!

Interesting...I have never heard of Team Gym. I'd love to hear more. Are you in the US? I learn something about gymnastics every day!
From what I understand, TeamGym is more like what you see in cheerleading routines, with synchronized choreography, and team lifts and acrobatics. The focus is on teamwork, strength, tumbling, and flexibility as opposed to the all-around Olympic events that artistic gymnasts train for.

We attended open tryouts for TeamGym and she was placed in Pre-Team with seven other girls. I'm told this is not a competition team, but set-up to introduce the youngest gymnasts to performing a routine in front of a group. They practice three hours a week and perform at meets, but do note compete. My question is, does this seem like a class for all of the kids who didn't make level 1, just so the gym can make money off of hopeful kids?

As I'm sure others have already said, pre-team is a normal step between rec and competitive team. It helps get the girls ready for competition both physically and mentally. It's a very important step and is rarely skipped. No they aren't trying to milk you for more money. They are trying to prepare your child so that she will be successful in her first year of competitive gymnastics. And they are probably evaluating her to see if she can cut it on a team. 3 hours a week sounds about right for pre-team.

Our pre-team girls do exhibitions between sessions at a regular home meet. Sounds like yours is very similar. This gets the girls used to doing gymnastics in a meet setting, with a large audience watching. Some kids at that age can get terrible stage fright, and that's not a good thing to have when you are trying to compete.

Oh I should also say this: don't be in a hurry and enjoy your free time while you can. Once she gets placed on a team it all changes. :)

Aha, TeamGym is what some of my friends from back home have their kids doing!!! (I'm originally from Sweden). I have seen lots of videos and knew there was a distinct difference between their competitions and ours over here, I just couldn't figure out what was going on. Thank you for explaining that!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back