WAG New Platinum Rule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymnast17

Gymnast
Reaction score
Has anyone else heard of the new platinum bars rule? All mounts must be either a B or a kip. Is this true, or is this my coach trying to get everyone to do kips?

Some B bar mounts are tuck jump over the low bar, jump half turn kip up on high bar, and a round off catch a low or high bar. Xcels about to get real creative. Any thoughts or opinions on this (if it’s true)?

Has anyone else heard of the new platinum bars rule? All mounts must be either a B or a kip. Is this true, or is this my coach trying to get everyone to do kips?

Some B bar mounts are tuck jump over the low bar, jump half turn kip up on high bar, and a round off catch a low or high bar. Xcels about to get real creative. Any thoughts or opinions on this (if it’s true)?
I believe platinum has always required kips, but it seems like they're also adding the option of a B mount. But kips have always been required.

This is not an update. I've never heard this before and wonder how it could even be a thing? Not even optionals are required to start their bar routines with a B mount. I just read all the Xcel updates again, and did not see this. It would also defeat the purpose of Xcel

I just read the 24-25 updates and did not see that. There still has to be a kip in the routine, but USAG is not requiring that to be the mount. LSS does her kip on the high bar.
And only 1 B skill is required, so it wouldn't have to be the mount.

That’s so weird. My coach said we all have to start off with a kip otherwise we lose 0.5. I know all of our platinums did pullovers last year to begin with, and as a new platinum I was hoping to do the same too. I found the rule odd too, as the level 8’s are not required to do these absurd mounts.

Were pullovers never allowed? Last year, none of the platinums who started with a pullover ever got above a 9, except one 9.1 (but that routine was amazing). I always found it strange.

That’s so weird. My coach said we all have to start off with a kip otherwise we lose 0.5. I know all of our platinums did pullovers last year to begin with, and as a new platinum I was hoping to do the same too. I found the rule odd too, as the level 8’s are not required to do these absurd mounts.

Were pullovers never allowed? Last year, none of the platinums who started with a pullover ever got above a 9, except one 9.1 (but that routine was amazing). I always found it strange.
Did they do high bar kips? I know you have to have 1 kip in the routine, but I don't know if its required as the mount (our gym requires golds to have kips)

You have to have a kip somewhere in the routine or you lose 0.5. You also have to have a B skill somewhere in the routine or you lose 0.3. If you don't have a skill ending in clear support (like a cast or a clear hip) that is ABOVE horizontal, you lose 0.5. If you do more than one tap swing (like before a flyaway), you lose 0.3 for each extra swing.
Given all of those potential deductions, it's easy to see how a lot of gymnasts wouldn't get above a 9.

Did they do high bar kips? I know you have to have 1 kip in the routine, but I don't know if its required as the mount (our gym requires golds to have kips)
Yes, everyone had two kips in their routines: clear hip kip on LB on long hang kip on HB.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back