New Season Starts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Well Monday will be the start of the new season Still don't know if DD will compete L7 or L8. She still has some work to do on the L8 skills but she has until end of november when 1st meet usually is. So Crossing fingers for that but she would be ok with doing L7 again.

Monday is also the first day of school for her - a freshman in High School its going to be a big big change for her
going from catholic school where her whole class was 23 kids to a school where the whole freshman class is 1000 kids. No more uniforms and she gets home an hour earlier (no more rushing to get out the door for gym and time to do more homework)

She is very excited for both gym and school. So far non of her friends have any of the classes, studies or even lunch period she has - that is worrying her but she is social so she should make friends soon.

Went shopping for school clothes (first time for her since she always wore a uniform) She was clueless (can't be my daughter)

So no more plaid, and now limited leos and sweats in the closet - she has some REAL clothes in there now LOL.
She's not sure she likes the fit of jeans.

Good Luck to your DD!! We are in a similar situation here too! DD is going to be a freshman at a new school. She was in public school and is now going to a very, very academically challenging private school. It will all be new for her. She got her schedule and knows people in some of her classes and lunch! Hope you dd finds some familiar faces, I know this gives them some comfort in starting. As far as gym goes, she will try and continue to do 20 hrs a week (if she can manage the academics). We do not officially get her level for a while. We have had to pay for 2 meet fees (Pink Invitational and one in FL). I am curious if the registered her for L8 or L9? However, I am trying to chill out about gym and go with the flow. I have a feeling it is L9 because of her age. Ya know 14 is over the hill. (and she is coming along nicely on all her L9 skills, she just has to connect them all together- and land vault and double back off bars on terra firma)

Oh god my 14 yo is L7 or L8 so she isn't over the hill yet or mine is in the grave already LOL. She will be trying out in November too for the High School Team as one of her team mates at her gym is on that team and has already told the coach about her. She is excited about that.

Good luck to your DD too.

Good Luck to you all - we just started school last week and the first week of school and 20 hours in the gym was hard - I had a crabby girl by Saturday! We are much younger, but don't find out our levels for awhile, too. I wish I would just know, but I guess it is to her advantage that they won't decide for awhile because she doesn't quite have all of her skills, esp. on bars and she hasn't done her flipping vault on the real vault yet.

Enjoy your new school year!

Last edited:
New school AND new gym this year, both starting next week! Up till now, both school and gym have been within walking distance of our house. Now they're both in a neighboring town (20-25 minutes away). Luckily they're only about a mile away from each other so I'm hoping I can arrange transportation (in spite of the short distance, it's not walkable) from point A to point B, since I theoretically don't get out of work until the time gym starts. The school has free after-care, so she will be able to stay after school for the better part of an hour and get homework done. That's going to be important because she's going from 7.5 hours a week in the gym (and she was only going 6 hours a week last school year) to 13. And she will be competing as an old-lady-level-6 @ 11-years-old. :D You gotta love a sport where you can be all washed up before you reach middle school!

Cher, I bet your dd will be a pro at shopping for school clothes in no time. She'll figure out exactly what she wants--you figure out what she gets! Starting high school is not easy, but if she's outgoing, she'll make friends quickly.
Good luck on the school/gym year!

Good luck to your DD starting high school! So exciting. And she will definitely figure out the clothes. If I were you I'd save a bit of money to go shopping after the first week when she realizes she NEEDs to have this and that :). I also think it is great that the high school has a gymnastics team, a natural way for her to be active in what she loves and meet new people.

GL to everyones girlies and little men starting school. And for those starting new levels..ect. Im sure it wont take long and they will be rolling with the punches like they have been doing it all their lives

My kids have been back in school for almost 3 weeks. And as far as our season goes the first meet is not until the end of October so from what I have heard any of the girls that have their giants by then will compete L7. She could very well have them by then but I am thinking that I would like Alex to compete a few Prep Op (XCel) meets before making the jump to L7. She really needs the experience of doing optional routines and build more confidence before Level 7. I think she feels the same way!! The best part is either way we are going to FLORIDA for a meet! The Magical Classic!! I am very excited!!! We will plan a vacation around the meet!!!

MaryA, so glad you decided to try the new gym. I know that you thought long and hard about the deciscion. As for a ride, talk to a mom on her team, if possible one that passes her school on the way to gym. Even if the dd does not go to your daughter's school I am sure somone would be able to help. You may offer gas money or to drive to Saturday class. Since it is a new gym everyone will be figuring out rides in the first few weeks.

Good luck to your daughter. im sure she will be fine. i just started high school today and it wasnt bad at all. a lot different than middle school, and i like it a lot better. if she is outgoing she will do just fine. like someone else posted above, i would save some money for after the first week of school, when she gets an idea of what she wants.

MaryA - my daughter will be an 11 year old level 6 as well. Well, I think she will still be 10 for her first meet only, but turns 11 a week later. I don't think it is old at all. My dd always seem to be right in the middle of the pack when it comes to competing and her age. There are always kids a year or two younger and a year or two older.

MaryA - my daughter will be an 11 year old level 6 as well. Well, I think she will still be 10 for her first meet only, but turns 11 a week later. I don't think it is old at all. My dd always seem to be right in the middle of the pack when it comes to competing and her age. There are always kids a year or two younger and a year or two older.

Yes, DD doesn't turn 11 till Feb. but since States are in April, she'll compete as an 11-year-old. You're right, at meets she does tend to be in the middle. But it's old if she wants to have any shot at a college scholarship (not that I think she knows what a college scholarship is yet, much less if she wants one, but the thought has crossed my mind) I think she's already "behind." But at this point she does it because she loves it and not because she wants anything out of it, so we'll just go with that.

I'm surprised that a New Englander goes back so early- we always went after Labor Day. DD is not going back until after Labor Day, and has never gone " school shopping" for her hippie school. But this year she has saved some money and can't wait to spend it at Aeropostale! Actually, we are going to NE from Wed- Sunday and will be passing very close to Cher!
As for the new season, DD is very excited, 12 yo continuing on level 8, turining 13 this season, working on level 9, and planning to go to public school next fall! What a ride!

we have always gone back the week before Labor Day for both of my kids here. I haven't seen anyone go back after labor day since I went to school back in the age of the dinosaurs. LOL

Flipper if you are looking for something to do In Sanborton NH there is a big PowWow happening. Our scout group helps out every year with the kids crafts and the dancing. LIHA 41st Annual Labor Day Powwow

I'm sure your daughter will do great at public school, a little flustered at the size of the school at first, but just fine. Highschool is so much fun, and there are so many opportunities to get to know people and make friends. Good luck to her!

P.S I'm a New Englander, and this year I go back to school after Labor day! I'm assuming our first day is so late because we only get one week for winter break this year, because New Years day and Christmas are on Sundays... I'm not complaining though! I don't want summer to end!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back