Parents New to gymnastics..time question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
From what I could tell, her form looks pretty good! And she's just 5? Hang on and enjoy the ride!

It's possible they just don't want to push her too hard right now. Sometimes even if a kid has the skills, the criticism needed for gymnastics form is so extensive, they need to kind of up their commitment slowly. My guess is she'll be competing level 3 next year, which is an average 9-12 hours per week commitment depending on region and gym.

Thanks... It helps to get some guidance since we are new :) Is there a min age for every level then ? Level 3 6 yrs, level 4 7 yrs?

Minimum Age Requirements for USAG JO competitions
Level 3 is 6 years old...
Levels 4-7 are 7 years old...
Levels 8-9 are 8 years old...
Level 10 is 9 years old

I think she looks fabulous! Totally going to be L3 next year. ;)

So far as WHEN the season starts, that completely depends on your state and gym. I'm in TN and compulsories are in the fall (state meet beginning of December), excel/optionals in the spring (state meet in March/April). This year is a bit different because of the level changes and new routines so compulsory can compete either fall or spring this year.

If you want to know what the season is for your gym, look for a calendar on the gym website or you can look up your gym on mymeetscores.com and see when they compete the state meet. If it is fall (and I think most states are), then kids generally start training for the next competition season in January.

I like to see kids stay away from serious style gymnastics until they are at least six. So she's close to being old enough as long as the gym doesn't drop her into a 16 hour a week program. Personally, I'd hope they keep her hours on the low side for the next 8-12 months...... like not more than 10 per week.

Really there's no rush, and I'm glad to read that in your posts, because she has enough ability that she could twiddle her thumbs a full year and still catch up to the rest of the kids in 6 to 8 months....... or something like that.

The deal is, this sport is a long haul proposition and some kids only have enough gas in their tank to last 5 or 6 years unless they can refuel by making progress to a long term goal that means a lot to them. Forming a realistic, with room to dream, long term goal is beyond most kids under the age of 9 or 10, so unless she can get to that point with some energy left....... well, she may run out of gas before she's able to feel the reward of making it to a long term goal's mid point.

If you know what I mean.

Consider taking on the role of gently resisting every move upward before caving in, and then you can watch her prove to you she wants more and is at least emotionally ready to take the next step.

Consider taking on the role of gently resisting every move upward before caving in, and then you can watch her prove to you she wants more and is at least emotionally ready to take the next step.

I seem to be doing this, although not intentionally :p. Fwiw DD didn't start training more than once a week rec until she was 7, and has progressed to 5+ days a week in an incredibly short space of time. So we barely had time to adjust to 3 days a week before adding another, then another, then a different day so we had to consider stopping swim class, etc... Every time she's asked (and those tricky coaches tend to ask DD first, not me, so I can't just say flat no) to increase a day, or make her changes to her schedule, I genuinely think no, it's too much, we can't do it, she can't give up her ballet class, we'd need to rearrange x, y and .... So DD insists she can do it, and I reluctantly agree on a "trial basis" until the end of the school term, and of course she's fine. We get into the swing of that, and then something else changes.

I thought we'd settled down to 5 days a week, and having to give up her other activities, I didn't think they could add any more- but no, currently I'm being asked to consider letting her out of school for an afternoon of extra training- I'm thinking about it :p.

I seem to be doing this, although not intentionally :p. Fwiw DD didn't start training more than once a week rec until she was 7, and has progressed to 5+ days a week in an incredibly short space of time. So we barely had time to adjust to 3 days a week before adding another, then another, then a different day so we had to consider stopping swim class, etc... Every time she's asked (and those tricky coaches tend to ask DD first, not me, so I can't just say flat no) to increase a day, or make her changes to her schedule, I genuinely think no, it's too much, we can't do it, she can't give up her ballet class, we'd need to rearrange x, y and .... So DD insists she can do it, and I reluctantly agree on a "trial basis" until the end of the school term, and of course she's fine. We get into the swing of that, and then something else changes.

I thought we'd settled down to 5 days a week, and having to give up her other activities, I didn't think they could add any more- but no, currently I'm being asked to consider letting her out of school for an afternoon of extra training- I'm thinking about it :p.

Let us pour another tall glass of that special KoolAid......

Stay thirsty my friends.:D :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back