WAG New to Level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter who is in level 2 will be moved to Level 3 after Sate. She is 6 yrs old. On our gym there are only a couple of girls moving to level 4. So that means, my daughter will be with girls who are repeating the level 3. I had a conversation with 1 of the moms in lv 3 and she told me that lv 3 is way more difficult than lv 2. And that maybe, I should think twice on letting my daughter move up. Btw, her daughter is not the strongest gymnast in that level and always places last or not at all during meets. My dd in her current level is the top scoring gymnast in our gym. Should I be worry? Is this mom right? HC is the one moving my dd up. and right now, HC is trying to get her to do kip. My dd is not the most talented but she is a hard worker I can tell you that. DD has all her level 3 skills, just learning the routine may be a challenge for her.

Trust your coach. I am sure your DD will be just fine if your coach is moving her up. L3 is more difficult than L2 but each level is more difficult than the last :)

Maybe I should add that, this mom also mentions my dd's age, and beacuse she's only 6, she can't be that graceful or has the ability to catch on with the routine. This is the part that kinda rub me the wrong way :(

I hope she's not jealous, coz her dd is a beautiful gymnast! Besides, I don't even think they gonna be on the same age group. I think her dd will be 9. And this will be her 3rd season as a level 3. She was put in old level 3 last year when she was 7 and didn't moved up since.

Well this isn't really her third year--when they changed the levels this year, "staying" as a level 3 is really moving up in skills. So this will be her second year at this level.

My daughter is 6 and competed level 3 for the first time this season (actually, she never did level 2, so it was her first time competing at all). She had the best time ever! Yes, at first her efforts were more at remembering the routines and taking the coaches critiques and applying them (sometimes in one ear and out the other), but by the end of the season she learned to fine tune the elements and scored rather well! There was never concern in my mind that it was too much for her.

Well this isn't really her third year--when they changed the levels this year, "staying" as a level 3 is really moving up in skills. So this will be her second year at this level.

ditto this, if she went from old level three to new level three she moved up.

But to your OP, no. Level 3 is not that hard. If your child was scoring even 34s at level 2 then IMO she should most likely be able to pull off level 3 by the time the next season starts. The hardest things that they need to get from one to the next are the ROBHS, FHC, vertical handstand on the beam and the new beam dismount.

Our situation was exactly that of rbearclaw. My DD (and our whole family for that matter) had a blast as a 6 year old level 3 and honestly, to us, there was no pressure. She was young so her coaches really just expected her to have fun and learn what competing was all about. She had her skills but she struggled with form. Her scores weren't the best but they got better as the season progressed. Absolutely no regrets!!!

we had two old 6/young 7 year olds on my DD's level 3 team. They generally were our top two scorers. I definitely don't think that a 6 year old can't do level 3.

I don't understand Moms like that. What does she hope to accomplish with saying such things?

OF COURSE Level 3 is harder than Level 2. It wouldn't be the next level up if it didn't require more and harder skills. Just as an aside for Snide Mom - Level 4 is harder than Level 3. Doh!

You say that your daughter already has all the skills needed for L3, so don't sweat it. Like most kids (repeaters or not), she'll improve over the summer and she'll improve through the competition year. It's great that they are working with her on her kip too since she'll need that for L4. Snide Mom sounds like sour grapes, so RELAX and enjoy when your 6 year old is getting higher AA scores at the meets. :D

aww thank you everyone <<<HUGS>>>
These are all new to me. In our gym there are so many sour grapes and rotten jealous ones. It suck but I am now learning to keep to myself.

Well, yes, of course level 3 is harder. DD competed as level 2 at the beginning of this season. She had 3 meets, her scores were in 36s, she got 1st and 2nd places on most events, 1st or 2nd all around, all great. Then she was moved up to level 3. Two meets so far, 2 medals at the first meet 11th all around, only 1 medal at the second meet 7th all around. Scores in the 34-35s. And it's not just that the skills are harder (which they are), but the competition is much tougher. If in level 2 she could get a 9.0 and place 1st or 2nd, in level 3 with 9.0 she didn't place at all.
But that's just a reality, so you could be prepared, I'm not trying to scare you, or imply that your DD should stay in level 2. We don't regret for a second that DD moved up. It's challenging, but it gives her the drive to work harder.
If your DD has all the skills and wants to move up, there is no point in keeping her at level 2. She has the whole summer ahead of her to prepare, she'll be fine. :)

Sounds like a Mom that discouraged by her daughters lack of quick progression and threatened by the newcomer. We all want our daughters to do well, and trust me, mine is not a natural so I see the more naturally talented kids get better scores, etc. and it IS hard to deal with but dang...that's not very nice of her to say! Mommy dearest needs to bite her tongue, welcome you to level 3, and be encouraging even if it is hard to do. Sadly that is often easier said than done for many.

You could distance yourself from her...or become an ally and supporter. Maybe compliment her daughter on things she does well and for her 'experience' and see if a little flattery and sincere interest in learning about l3 from her (Mom) helps her get her defenses down. But in general, it IS the Coaches call and you are trusting their instinct and forsight and that's all that matters.

I've had to deal with similar issues. My 5 yr old daughter joined recreationally last year Feb. she went to one lesson and the owner of the gym contacted us the next day inviting her to a fast track (coach invite only) class. Within 4 months she was moved to pre team and then team-- she's competing at level 3 now. I've had to deal with snarky moms upset that their children haven't progressed. I cheer all the girls on not just my own. My favorite was when one mom was complaining her 12 yr old had to practice with all "these little kids"...

Trust your coaches!
They can see abilities in your child that our untrained eyes cannot see! She just sounds bitter...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back