Parents Newbie Parent To Pre-Team with some q's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, I say "pre-team" but she practices with the team. Her coach told us that the first comp would be in November and if she is ready, she will compete. So maybe I'm confused to what she is on. They did inform us of more costs later down the road with Leo's, grips etc. I really do appreciate everyone's help on here. I will be a frequent poster I'm sure as we delve into the gymnastics world further.
Small correction, because I forget some gyms compete level 2, she may be training L2 but it's hard to tell since we don't know what skills she has. Any good gym you go to though will be able to place her pretty quickly with an evaluation.

I'm in northern Illinois and pay $340 for 16 hours (L4). We also pay around $450-500 for coaches fees.

I'm not sure what preteam pays but I believe it is based on how many times a week you attend.

For this area very normal...

Small correction, because I forget some gyms compete level 2, she may be training L2 but it's hard to tell since we don't know what skills she has. Any good gym you go to though will be able to place her pretty quickly with an evaluation.

I want to say they were going to bump her to level 4 when we had spoke about it. I have no clue how the levels work or what skills acquired per level.
Back handsprings
Side Ariel
Cartwheel on beam( most of the time)
Kip? Uneven bar, if that's the name to swing yourself up.
A kick, kick roll thing on the bars and if doesn't show, I have no clue what I am talking about.

So if she is 6 and has level 4 skills (and hasn't been in gym long) she must be pretty talented! Having heard that, I would especially try to find a better gym for her because one of the quickest ways to burn a gymmie out is to have a negative environment!!

Hello all! We are new to gymnastics, my daughter is 6(7 Friday) and we have some questions regarding coaching styles. Quick background... She started at 6 in just rec gymnastics with the thought of eventually doing some sort of team. After her first 8 week session, one of the coaches pulled us aside and told us how talented she was and would like to put her on the team or pre-team or whatever. Now, she has done comp cheer and rec cheer so she has been coached, teamed and has performed in front of people. So, I stayed at her practice last night (MWF 3 hours per and 1 hour on sat) and I witnessed her get berated by the coach for having to use the bathroom, for the second time. Now I understand that they also need to teach them discipline, but is it normal for a coach to punish a whole team with calisthenics for a teammate not feeling well. My daughter could not keep her composure and started to cry, and that made the coach a little more mad. I reluctantly stayed out of it, I had played sports my whole life, so I get it. I just thought it was a little much for a 6 y.o. I have witnessed the coaches, 2 particular, do this to more than one kid and its seems like overkill. Am I crazy? Should I step in? Find a new gym? I am truly worried that she(and more) may loose the fire that really pushes her. Anyway, any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

If I personally witnessed a coach clearly berating my daughter at age 6/7 (or heck even age 10 that she is now) for needing to use the bathroom, I would yank my kid that day and take my business elsewhere. No one degrades a child's dignity like that under my watch.

Now of course "berate" is arguable - so I would use my personal judgment as a parent and human being. Seriously - don't put up with crap. Tough coaching where coaches are stern and 'blunt' about whether a skill is performed well ("Nope, Suzie, your feet are not pointed - you need to try again"), and do enforce behavior rules like doing rope climbs for being overly-chatting instead of focusing, sure that's reasonable discipline. But keeping a kid from the bathroom and punishing everyone for it would not be something I would tolerate for a second.

Your daughter seems talented. Get her somewhere where her talent and whole being will be nourished by the adults around her.

I just checked our pre team info. 6 hrs per week. $260 gym fees per month. $530 meet fees.

We are now triple the meets fees and about double the gyms for L6/7.

I was think along the same lines as @Sasha. But what op described is not acceptable, especially with an ill-feeling tummy. That being said, there are times when my DD (10, Level 9-10-HOPES) has 'rough' workouts. Times when I have had a few four letter words cross my mind. But there is a mental toughness aspect to it all.

Yes, seems like you may want to check out other programs. And block your phone number before you call (dialing *67 before the number works here), don't give too much info. Just ask training hours for whatever level she is at, tuition, then go in and quietly observe. Do this at a few places. Good luck.

and do the drive at gym times, ie how many minutes is it at rush hour, from school etc etc, the traveling can get really hard

Unacceptable. Don't bother trying to talk to the owner....
Since you found out your DD is talented in gymnastics, find a good gym that will nurture her.....go to them, have her try a class...talk to the parents while you wait.....ask them what they like, AND what they don't like.

As for costs, sounds reasonable. My fees this year are close to $1600 for meets and coaches fee......$400 tuition, BUT DD is training 7...
Gymnastics ain't cheap.

I agree that you need to consider different gyms where she can have a more supportive environment. Talent at such a young age needs to be nurtured carefully or she will burn out or otherwise lose her interest.

That being said, my DD's coach last season threatened to punish the team with conditioning only on bars if a certain team member left again at the beginning of bars for a 15+ minute trip to the restroom again. These girls were Level 4 and the girl in question was 10. It was quite clear that the child disliked bars and had to use the restroom pretty much every practice, whether bars was 30 minutes into practice, immediately after break or 3 hours in. Her avoidance of bars was affecting her bar strength and skills as well as disrupting bars practice for the whole team.

The youngest in that group was 9 and all had been on team/preteam for a couple of years. The threat helped a bit, but the girl in question still hits the restroom more frequently than would seem normal and only during bars. New coach this season hasn't threatened yet.

So, with this experience in the back of my mind, I would wonder if OP's daughter is perhaps avoiding a coach who scares her or skills/conditioning she doesn't like or has trouble doing. At 6, that wouldn't be an unusual coping mechanism, but changing gyms may not fix that if that is part of the problem. While looking for a new gym, I would also try to attend her current practices and see if there is a pattern. The move up to training Level 4 team and 10+ hours may be overwhelming for OP's daughter. That doesn't excuse the coach's actions to a 6 year old, but may affect what gym and how many hours the OP chooses.

That seems high to me but what do I know. DD is a new level 3 (9 hours) and we pay $260/month. We don't pay coaches fees but do have meet fees (around $1000 this year I think) and of course, team Leo/warm-up, etc...

Whoa, we definitely have it more expensive in Oregon! My 9yo is just starting preteam today and our monthly tuition for 6 hours is $294. Next level/team lvl 3 is $353/mo plus all the associated fees for competition. I've been told about $1200.

Whoa, we definitely have it more expensive in Oregon! My 9yo is just starting preteam today and our monthly tuition for 6 hours is $294. Next level/team lvl 3 is $353/mo plus all the associated fees for competition. I've been told about $1200.

Ouch

Have you spoken with your daughter? Sometimes what we see from the lobby is different than what is really going on in the gym. I think I would first speak with the coach and my daughter. If you don't get a satisfactory explanation, trust your instincts. That said, your daughter seems pretty talented, I would take my time finding a good gym; good training, good people. Switching gyms get harder as they get older and get attached to friends and even coaches.

If cost is an issue, go with the best gym you can afford. Tuition varies greatly. I've heard people pay $195 for some optional levels and some pay $400+ for some compulsory levels.

A talk with your daughter's coach may shed some light on the situation or at the least give you more insight into what to be looking for in your next gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back