Anon NY Times Article on Girl Influencers and Leotard Brand Reps

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous (d462)
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
This article was disturbing, but sadly should be required reading for all parents. It’s unbelievable the number of moms that view their children as commodities. No wonder there’s a shortage of mental health professionals. If parents would do their job and protect their children, they wouldn’t create avoidable trauma and baggage.

I was a fan of CW and because they have gorgeous Leo’s and great resale values! However after reading this and then looking at their content I have decided to be more conscientious about where I put my money. I was very disturbed to find a child with over 200k followers almost all of whom were adult males and hundreds of disgusting comments on most of the child’s posts. Clearly no one is safe guarding this child. It’s first a parental responsibility but after that the brand should not allow ambassadors to have accounts that have this kind of following and commenting going unchecked. I know policing accounts doesn’t solve the problem but to just allow this content to sit on the internet promoting your brand..not ok! Even less ok to do to your own child :(

I was a fan of CW and because they have gorgeous Leo’s and great resale values! However after reading this and then looking at their content I have decided to be more conscientious about where I put my money. I was very disturbed to find a child with over 200k followers almost all of whom were adult males and hundreds of disgusting comments on most of the child’s posts. Clearly no one is safe guarding this child. It’s first a parental responsibility but after that the brand should not allow ambassadors to have accounts that have this kind of following and commenting going unchecked. I know policing accounts doesn’t solve the problem but to just allow this content to sit on the internet promoting your brand..not ok! Even less ok to do to your own child :(
I also notice Chalk Warrior has mostly younger girls as their ambassadors.. I thought that to be telling.

These mothers absolutely know what they are doing. I saw one advertising their child’s used Leos to 100K+ followers. Men were in the comments asking questions about the leotards!! Our gym has a used Leo exchange so I’m aware that used Leos are a thing but Why are you as a mother advertising your 9 year old daughter’s used leotards with details on when and where she wore it? Mother led grooming.

I'm most disgusted by the parents that are profiting off their children, but the companies are also to blame. For example, I've heard such great things about Salute Leotards being soft like gymgear and I've seen a lot of cute ones, but I can't even look at the website. I feel like the entire thing is not even set up to purchase leotards. It's just a bunch of pictures of young girls posing provocatively. It looks completely intentional in my opinion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Best Of All Time: Layout Jaeger

UPDATE: The Liukin Club

Back