Olivia Makes National Team- Diamond!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The 7-8 year olds get the recognition, a certificate, warm-up and a t-shirt, I think. Not sure about the leotard, though. I think the Camp-goers get that. The 9-11 year olds will go to Texas for further testing in October. From there they'll either make the A Camp and go to the ranch on USAG and the B Camp goes to the ranch but has to pay. One of my friend's dd's went to the ranch with the A camp a couple years. Olivia actually has a couple of the warm-ups and leos from her. Can't take credit for it but she thinks it's cool.

Congratulations! That is awesome news. All of her hard work and training really paid off. She has every reason to be proud of herself. I bet she already has her sights set on doing it again next year!

Congratulations! That is awesome news. All of her hard work and training really paid off. She has every reason to be proud of herself. I bet she already has her sights set on doing it again next year!

Do you know her???? She's been harassing me asking me 52 questions...what skills will I need in TX next year?...what about vault?....I think beam will be easy....it seems like it's L6 skills....on and on....I'm like I don't want to talk about it right now....your coaches will teach/tell you what you need to know...don't worry.....you have plenty of time....

I found her practicing her L5 beam routine.....she tells me she has do really good now because teammates are looking up to her...I think she is embracing her new "status".

Really she is just bursting with pride and as her mama I love seeing her so driven and happy with herself.:D

Do you know her???? She's been harassing me asking me 52 questions...what skills will I need in TX next year?...what about vault?....I think beam will be easy....it seems like it's L6 skills....on and on....I'm like I don't want to talk about it right now....your coaches will teach/tell you what you need to know...don't worry.....you have plenty of time....

I found her practicing her L5 beam routine.....she tells me she has do really good now because teammates are looking up to her...I think she is embracing her new "status".

Really she is just bursting with pride and as her mama I love seeing her so driven and happy with herself.:D
I can imagine! She must be really jazzed! It's incredibly difficult to reach Diamond, but seeing the result of all of those extra workout sessions I'm sure makes it all worth it. I figure that if she had the drive and determination to work hard at reaching it the first time without knowing how well she'd do, then she's going to be twice as motivated now that she has seen how successful she can be if she just keeps at it.

Good luck in advance for next year! I'm sure she'll make you proud again!

It is so great when they are able to reach a goal and succeed. The only caution is letting her carry too much responsibility for being "the best" all the time. As a mom of a daughter, who is an ultra-perfectionist, the burden can take a toll after awhile (because that mindset bleeds over into every aspect, school, gym, even bowling with friends). And while it is good to do well, if she expects to be on top in everything she does (and thinks everyone else expects that), especially in gymnastics, it can create too much pressure down the road and burn-out. A good friend of dd's just quit gym... she was a beautiful gymnast, was usually in the top 5-6 girls, but after level 8 could not handle the pressure and expectations on her. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Congratulations again! Hope she has a fabulous season.

Thank you for the word of caution. I am aware of the additional pressure that comes with being a perfectionist. However, Liv's last season as a L4 she had many "upsets" (forgot her routines on a couple of occasions, fell at many, etc) and through all the upset she never once showed an outward sign of disappoint, not a tear or a frown. When she severly messed up her floor routine she quickly covered it up and continued. She never cried or was upset.
At several meets she only recieved the AA medal. In fact I've worried how nonchalant she can be about "losing" when she knows how it feels to win. I was concerned because it looked like "apathy" like she just didn't care one way or the other.

Her very last L4 meet was the worst by far.....after awards I asked her: How do you think you did? to which she responded: I did great Mama! She's a smart girl and just the meet before had one 1st AA. She knows falls and forgeting routines are NOT great by any means.

I later figured she just didn't want me to be disappointed and we talked about alway being honest with your feelings even the yucky ones.

I've worried more about her not seeing the "purpose" or meaning to all this training. She doesn't put great value to being #1 yet. She rather make sure all her teammates get a chance.

Right now she's 7 years old and not very competitive out at meets. She likes doing well, not doubt but if she doesn't she's like: oh well....it's ok I'll do it next time....atleast Christy won. She just goes with flow and is very forgiving of herself. She is not hard on herself nor puts too much on herself either. All this new sense of responsibilty she feels with the title of Diamond Team is exactly what she needed-a purpose, something valueable! She needed a good reason to try her best. Keeping her motivated has been her coaches toughest job. She loves the sport and doesn't want to give it up but she also loves many other things (playing the piano, drawing, reading, playing w/ her sister). This has helped her re-focused, for the time being, on gymnastics. It comes and it goes with her....maybe it's a good thing maybe it's not....

All I know is that right now she happy, motivated, and WANTS to do well at meets therefore she putting forth her best effort which makes me proud. I always tell her....it's not about the result, it's about the effort!

Congrats to Liv on doing well at the TOPs training. Hope her competitive season goes well this year too :) and that she enjoys learning her knew skills! (from what you wrote it sounds like she does :D)

hey great job!

Great job Olivia! I know Mom is proud. Won't be long and we will be watching you on TV!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back