Olympic hopeful training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yeah, our state specifically shut down gyms, so that idea was out for anyone here. I just assumed other states had listed gyms in their orders as well.
They posted this on March 30th so they are definitely closed. I guess I'm a little annoyed. I've heard of at least one gym in MA that is also letting girls in to train but it was from someone who knows someone, etc... so who knows for sure.
1587044920477.png

They posted this on March 30th so they are definitely closed. I guess I'm a little annoyed. I've heard of at least one gym in MA that is also letting girls in to train but it was from someone who knows someone, etc... so who knows for sure.
View attachment 7785

Wow. Not really sure how I feel about that. I mean, if my kid were getting the chance to practice in small groups it would be hard to turn down. But really, the guidelines/rules/whatever put into place should be followed. Luckily, our gym never put us in that position. They closed immediately.

Wow. Not really sure how I feel about that. I mean, if my kid were getting the chance to practice in small groups it would be hard to turn down. But really, the guidelines/rules/whatever put into place should be followed. Luckily, our gym never put us in that position. They closed immediately.
yeah I don't think I could violate a stay at home order for gymnastics. And encourage my minor child to partake. What kind of person does that? UGH! I have a L10 and in the end, this is an extracurricular activity. I am thankful that DD's gym closed before the state required it to be done, and did it with the agreement of the other major gyms in our metro area. All 4 HC of the 4 major gyms closed on the same day to show a unified approach, which IMHO speaks to who they are and the types of places they run. It also says a lot about those who don't do the same.

When did that email go out? I don't see how they could rightfully still hold any Hopes championships without having had enough qualifiers. there are many girls that do the last qualifiers only and didn't get that opportunity. Besides at this point no way in heck they are holding those meets in Aug/Sept.
Don’t know when the email went out to the coaches my daughter coach told me, Now it’s being pushed back until November. I would say it’s not enough in the 10-11 age group I counted 9, but I thought all the qualifiers over so how can you say they can’t have a championship if that’s all that qualified?

Don’t know when the email went out to the coaches my daughter coach told me, Now it’s being pushed back until November. I would say it’s not enough in the 10-11 age group I counted 9, but I thought all the qualifiers over so how can you say they can’t have a championship if that’s all that qualified?
Nope two qualifiers got cancelled. I don't think it would be right to hold the championships without have the qualifiers like they are supposed to. My daughter and several of her teammates were supposed to go to the qualifiers. Mine turns 13 in the fall so will age out this year. So basically she is screwed because she is really 12 all year, but has to test as a 13 year old and then on her final year doesn't get to qualify. Not that this is any of your fault, but its truly not fair and it make me mad.

Nope two qualifiers got cancelled. I don't think it would be right to hold the championships without have the qualifiers like they are supposed to. My daughter and several of her teammates were supposed to go to the qualifiers. Mine turns 13 in the fall so will age out this year. So basically she is screwed because she is really 12 all year, but has to test as a 13 year old and then on her final year doesn't get to qualify. Not that this is any of your fault, but its truly not fair and it make me mad.
Well I don’t know what to say, but as of two weeks ago classics was cancelled and everyone who qualified got bumped to the championships which will be in late October or early November. We had a zoom meeting to take a vote to see if that’s what we wanted to do. Basically if we can get into the gym before August the girls from our gym will compete

Reactions: sce
But regardless even if the cancel it this year your daughter will still age out right?

But regardless even if the cancel it this year your daughter will still age out right?
Hi, yes as her birthday is at the end of the year and will turn 13. I still have hopes that they will change the age brackets to give them another year as this year was a bust for all. LOL :) And please don't take my rant as a personal attack as i am just annoyed at the whole situation.

Hi, yes as her birthday is at the end of the year and will turn 13. I still have hopes that they will change the age brackets to give them another year as this year was a bust for all. LOL :) And please don't take my rant as a personal attack as i am just annoyed at the whole situation.
All understandable

I would not report anyone or encourage it, because none of us know what all the facts are in these cases. its not right to assume they all have the same rules every where, and I can’t stand this “report them” mindset. If someone really wants to know what’s going on, email the gym in question and ask. Or call them and ask. If our gym was offering small groups or privates, dd would be there.

I would not report anyone or encourage it, because none of us know what all the facts are in these cases. its not right to assume they all have the same rules every where, and I can’t stand this “report them” mindset. If someone really wants to know what’s going on, email the gym in question and ask. Or call them and ask. If our gym was offering small groups or privates, dd would be there.
I agree. My issue with the kid I mentioned is that the parents have been lying like crazy about it on social media and seem to have an overall sense of entitlement. That kid didn’t spend one second out of the gym when pretty much everyone else on earth was out at least for a while. I don’t think it is reportable. Just annoying. I think lots of privates and small group practices are starting to happen now. I doubt any gym would admit it if asked though.

Reactions: sce
I agree. My issue with the kid I mentioned is that the parents have been lying like crazy about it on social media and seem to have an overall sense of entitlement. That kid didn’t spend one second out of the gym when pretty much everyone else on earth was out at least for a while. I don’t think it is reportable. Just annoying. I think lots of privates and small group practices are starting to happen now. I doubt any gym would admit it if asked though.
Right. It is happening. I know of it also, but it’s not my business, and I won’t get involved. But it’s definitely happening.

Not all states and cities have stay-at-home orders. Some elite programs with the legal ability to train in small numbers have kindly invited gymnasts and coaches from other programs to join them. I'm aware of at least a handful of instances of legitimate training at high-ish level gyms and am glad they have worked out ways to safely train.

Let's hope that these very small training groups are safer than some of the air track videos I've seen? No judgey eyes, but the spread of innovative parkour-ish optional skills is quite fun. I do wonder if coaches and parents know that under no medical circumstances should gymnasts - especially those growing between ages 9 and 14 - run on sidewalks and streets? Have they met Mr. Osgood and Mrs. Severs?

To me, the real problem will arise once government restrictions are relaxed, but before we can return to normal. Which 5 athletes will be chosen to train and with which coach and on what equipment? No one can survive financially on team alone so how will limited training work? How many athletes will lose interest or find the challenge of returning to competitive gymnastics overwhelming? We are only at the beginning of a long and challenging road.

Unfortunately, here on Long Island I don't think any of this is going to be an option for us any time soon. Although I have heard of some gyms around here doing privates in home. How does that even happen?

I feel for you @Mish I hope gymnasts with no access to training hang in there no matter how long it takes to resume practices. I fear we will lose half our gyms and half our athletes if it lasts 6 months.

If you have equipment and matting, you can train at home. I doubt many have those resources or interest, however, and even the most advanced home gym won't work for Level 8 or above gymnasts.

Not all states and cities have stay-at-home orders. Some elite programs with the legal ability to train in small numbers have kindly invited gymnasts and coaches from other programs to join them. I'm aware of at least a handful of instances of legitimate training at high-ish level gyms and am glad they have worked out ways to safely train.

Let's hope that these very small training groups are safer than some of the air track videos I've seen? No judgey eyes, but the spread of innovative parkour-ish optional skills is quite fun. I do wonder if coaches and parents know that under no medical circumstances should gymnasts - especially those growing between ages 9 and 14 - run on sidewalks and streets? Have they met Mr. Osgood and Mrs. Severs?

To me, the real problem will arise once government restrictions are relaxed, but before we can return to normal. Which 5 athletes will be chosen to train and with which coach and on what equipment? No one can survive financially on team alone so how will limited training work? How many athletes will lose interest or find the challenge of returning to competitive gymnastics overwhelming? We are only at the beginning of a long and challenging road.
What state is this

I feel for you @Mish I hope gymnasts with no access to training hang in there no matter how long it takes to resume practices. I fear we will lose half our gyms and half our athletes if it lasts 6 months.

If you have equipment and matting, you can train at home. I doubt many have those resources or interest, however, and even the most advanced home gym won't work for Level 8 or above gymnasts.
Her coach provides different workouts daily and a few Zoom workouts per week. We have air track, trampoline, different mats etc. But obviously not the same as being in the gym. She Just repeated level seven due to injuries, so just hoping we will be able to get back in there by the summer.

It is interesting hearing different perspectives and experiences, including thoughts on what is “safe”.

For us: any short-term gain by doing in-gym practice during an escalating pandemic pales in comparison to the long-term benefits of stepping back and teaching our daughter that there are more important things in life than gymnastics and reminding her that she is much more than a gymnast.

Our family's definition of safe during this pandemic does factor in the health and safety of others in our community, in addition to our own health.

...my two cents.

So, if the governor of your state, in cooperation with the public health department, has outlined a plan of slowly opening things, and the parameters required, then that is not ok? I think we need to think about the fact that different states are in different places during this time, and will reopen at different times, with parameters in place. I listened to the mayor, the public health department, and our governor yesterday, and all said the same thing, and the plan has been been worked out amongst all 3.

Even people who have said that, yes, their kid will go back, is doing so having all the information from their state. I have no idea what is going on in other states. I can barely keep up with my own. But I do know that the plan here is solid, slow, deliberate. Will people disobey it? Yes. Are people disobeying the orders now? Yes.

We need to be respectful of others and what they are doing in their state. We need to support each other, and help each other navigate this world that now exists with CoVid 19. It isn't going away, and we are all going to need support during this time. I get that we all have differing opinions on when/how things should be done. Me, I am listening to the public health experts in my state, and following their guidelines. So, let's be supportive. There is a gray area between staying on stay at home orders until a vaccine/cure is found (18 months or so) and going right back to normal (which I think we all know won't happen). But we are going to need the support of other parents, and other gym parents, as we try to figure this out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back