Off Topic Ooops!! Injured myself!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
Well, less than 1 hour into training today (I was coaching) I did a chasse on floor whilst teaching a new floor routine, and my ankle went from underneath me! I heard a loud pop and knew I'd done something! Quickly iced and elevated it, and got a paramedic to come out, he thought I'd fractured my ankle, so called for the ambulance, again, they thought I'd fractured it, so took me off to the main hospital for an x-ray!
Turns out it's not broken or fractured, just a bad sprain - not sure whether that is a good thing though as a break can actually heal faster so I'm told!
Looks like its going to take at least 4 weeks before it'll be back to normal.
It is currently nicely swollen and I'm going to need to keep it elevated and iced for 48 hours, then gentle exercise. I'm supposed to try to walk on it, but it's pretty painful. In my little info book it says that if walking is very painful, to continue to use crutches/a walking device, however I didn't get one in the first place, so at the moment, I'm just hobbling along!
Can't believe in 21 years of doing gym and coaching, my first real injury happens whilst doing a chasse!!!! I was a bit gutted that I got lots of special treatment all for a sprain, and I didn't even get a bandage to put on!!
Really hope it heals fast - I'm not good at doing nothing all day! Gonna stear clear of chasse's for a while!

Eugh, that's no fun! Yeah, it's always when you're not doing something cool. I sprained one ankle doing lunges, the other I rolled on a chasse-did ballet for YEARS and never had an issue with a chasse lol. Hope you heal quickly!!

Ouch! I sprained my ankle last year practising a series of leaps for my floor routine. The leaps and landings were all fine, then straight afterwards took a couple of steps and rolled my foot. Possibly it was because I relaxed, or perhaps my feet and legs were tired... Hope it heals quickly for you!

It's always the way! you could injure yourself doing something remotely advanced/has a good story but you don't you do it doing a really basic skill :p I have torn a ligament doing a split leap and broken a toe doing a full turn :p Hope you have a speedy recovery :)

Thanks all,

So far it has healed a lot, but still not 100% better. In fact it is still a bit swollen! May go back to the Dr after Christmas just to get it checked over again!

Ouch, I hope it's better now.
I always seem to injure myself like that, doing something basic and somehow ending up injured. The worst was when I broke a toe 5 minutes into class by tripping over a springboard. All I got to do was the first warm-up exercise. lol

So, another update. It is now, almost 5 months later and I'd go so far as to say it is 99% healed! I can actually jump now without fearing for the stability of my ankle! I even did a bhs the other day, and my shoulders ached more than it hurt my ankle!

Still have the odd twinge now and then but on the whole, I think it's as good as it's going to get! Can't believe it took so long to heal though, when the hospital said 4 weeks!!

Marie,
Thats really sad to read about your injury...
I would say that God save you from bigger loss.
All my good thought are with you and my you be cured soon.

Wow reading this post sounds exactly what I did last week. Ankle rolled and heard a pop and it swelled and bruised and couldn't walk. I thought it was broken but doc said just a bad sprain. No crutches, just to "rice" for 72 hours and now I have a nice walking brace, but I'm out for six weeks! Glad to hear you're healing well, I hope mine heals as well and I dont keep re-injuring it now that it has been sprained!

I'm not a gymnast, but I once broke my foot walking! I just stepped off a curb and twisted it. I felt so stupid. I broke one bone in my foot, but also had a really bad sprain. The orthopedic told me the break was the least of my problems. It was 10 weeks before I could even put weight on it and almost a good year before I had the feeling back in all of my toes. For several years after that I had to make sure I wore really good shoes or that foot would hurt. It's amazing how much damage you can do when you are really doing nothing. I was pregnant at the time so the dr thought that contributed to my tendons/ligaments being weak and loose.

Sorry,to hear about your Injury.Hope so that you get well soon and Join the training session again.I think that you needs to consult this issue with the doctor.He can advice you the best in this regard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back