WAG Opinions on Camp Woodward

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
I'm starting an Xcel team at my gym this summer and I'm super excited. However, this is my first foray into competitive coaching (I've been teaching rec classes for over four years now), so I've been thinking of ways to improve my abilities and get ready for this experience so I can be the best coach I can possibly be. A friend of mine said I should work at Woodward in Pennsylvania for a couple weeks in the summer. He mentioned it being a fantastic experience. He tells me about the world class facilities there, as well as all the awesome people you get to meet, including well respected coaches and well known athletes.

I'm curious to know how many of you have gone to Woodward, PA and what you think of the place. Also, if any coaches have done this would you be able to tell me how it works? How do they decide what levels you teach and when you teach? Are there courses and learning opportunities for coaches? WHAT'S THE FOOD LIKE?!

I heard the pay isn't good, but that's not at all why I want to do this. Do you think this would be a good thing to take part in to improve my abilities as a team coach?

Never been there, but coaching at Woodward or IGC is a dream of mine... of course not RIGHT NOW - shoulder and all... so not this summer either, but it is a dream.
I would recommend looking into it. Contact Woodward for information and see what they say. :)
Good luck.

They just posted their applications this week...I would totally do it if I could and I were in your shoes. You will learn a lot and come back ready to roll. DD's whole team is going - 2 coaches and 20+ gymnasts.

DD loves Woodward goes every year. Last couple years she attended with most of the optionals. Food is okay. Lots of choices though so you can always find something.

Woodward is awesome! I liked going with just one or two teammates and not the whole team. When our whole team went, the coaches would come too and they would try to coach us. I guess that is their job but the coaches at woodward in the higher groups are really good college coaches with a lot more to teach than my club coaches could.

On the application they ask what previous coaching experience you have and what you can spot. So if you can only spot a round off bhs, you will obviously not be coaching the group of level 10s!

Have fun!

You can actually go as a whole team and everything?!
Yes... And if you have at least 5 of your team members attend, you can be a visiting coach (not one of their full-time workers - which is what you were originally asking about).
Each week, visiting coaches at Woodward have the unique opportunity to help our directors design a program tailored to help with your individual interests and concerns. Every day there will be a variety of clinics offered to enhance your coaching and learning experience.

Because all visiting coach program applicants MUST have at least 5 campers attending camp during the summer, this is a great opportunity to learn and train with your own athletes. You will also have the opportunity to exchange ideas concerning technique, team programs, equipment, and general "gym business" in an informal and social atmosphere with other coaches. This has proven to be a most rewarding experience for many of our visiting coaches in the past.
Of course, you have to PAY for this privilege unless you have 15 team members or more ($300 base price minus $20 per gymnast that attends)... and if you have at least 20, the team gets special privileges.

**For more information about this exciting and fun-filled program, please call the office at 814.349.5633 and email Tracey at [email protected]

** To Download a Visiting Coach Application CLICK HERE."

DD loves Woodward. I think the dining hall has fairly standard fare, but there are several other places around the camp where you can eat for "free" (there is also a coffee shop, an ice cream shop, and a smoothie bar that cost extra) that are pretty good. I know that DD generally ate at the Chicken Grill where they had things like chicken sandwiches and quesadillas. There is also a small town near by that has a nice coffee shop and a great cafe/brewery when you have a chance to leave camp.

IGC (where I have never been do I can't comment on the food) has an actual coach training program though, so that might be something worth looking in to.

Woodward is a great place!! The food is average, I always found something I liked to eat. I agree, the chicken grill is very good and was usually my choice.

I'm not sure what the coaching aspect is like but I'd love to know. I don't coach a team right now (Though I have been involved in that before) and I'd love to coach at a camp this summer. The question is IGC, Woodward or Flipfest

I have coached and been a visiting coach at Woodward. I learned a lot by coaching other people's kids and really enjoyed it. I have also taken a team group every year I went. Food is OK for one week. When we stayed for 2 weeks I had to go into town to Subway. There is always some type of social for the visiting coaches that involves food. I usually ate 6 or 7 times each day.
Have to make a point of making sure the kids eat enough. They don't realize they are burning a lot more calories just walking the hills of camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back