Parents Out for injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

ary

hello! My daughter is on a pre competition team and has to be out for the next month (at least) with a broken leg. Any suggestions on what she should do with the time off? Totally rest or still try to keep up with conditioning? Any words of encouragement for this not being a huge set back? Her gym does level testing in spring and I know she'll be bummed if this will set her back a whole year. Thanks so much in advance!

First, I would see what her doctor says. That should drive all decisions.

Oftentimes, the doctor will allow (and even encourage) the gymnast to keep up with conditioning on areas of the body that aren’t affected by the injury. I would think she could do core & upper body work, if approved by her doctor.

My dd broke her fingers 2 years ago as a L8. She continued to do core and lower body exercises as well as work on leg flexibility. She still worked leaps & turns on floor and beam. (And even some no-handed tumbling....which I didn’t learn about until later. )

My level 3 has a broken foot right now. She still goes to every practice. She has a conditioning list she completes and she watches the other girls routines and listens to the feedback. I think it’s helpful for them to be in the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back