WAG Overzealous Middle School PE Teacher

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Why is she running 3.5 miles if 2.5 miles is all she needs for an A and she has foot and knee problems? An additional mile is @ 40% extra running.

It sounded like in the OP that when her DD finished the 2.5 and there was still time left in class, the teacher was requiring her to continue to run or walk. She was not allowed to rest? I am a runner and my DS runs XC, but I think the entire thing sounds ludicrous! Some of the 12 year-old girls (and boys for that matter) on his XC team cannot run a 7 MM.

+1 to Coachp's post.

I do not live or coach in CA. As a coach in a different state I take the best steps I can on behalf of my athletes.

Before the school year begins I/athlete/parent send a personal letter to each Physical Education Instructor and AD (when appropriate) on behalf of my athletes. In summary we identify the student/athlete as an everyday athlete, mental and physical fitness state/goals with their practice schedule. I reference the USA-G website and briefly speak to their athletic demands and their sport. I reference a couple of vids of skills the athlete is "upgrading this current summer). Importantly I thank them for advancing the fitness/nutrition/sports ethos that our gym/myself advocate everyday and offer myself as a resource if they need. Lifetime fit body and fit mind for the student/athlete is our shared goal.

I share that the student/gymnast has committed everyday athletic demands. Having an athlete/parents commit to being 100% committed to their sport does not allow room for additional very strenuous demands without injury. You can not go healthily beyond 100%. I provide a sample weekly planner to demonstrate fitness/athletic pedagogic goals. Accompanying the Workout Planner I provide an Annual meet schedule in spreadsheet form with fitness (High,medium, low intensity), tasks/upgrades (same intensity), routine (same intensity) gridded for each 6 week period.

The last paragraph we ask (1) that the Phy Ed teacher or AD contact me with any questions. we ask (2) that the student/athlete not be given deferense for assignments, but ask that the assignments be given with consideration of the athletic/mental load already committed to by the gymnast. Suggestion of having the athlete test out of goals that my be duplicative of current fitness/sport demands. is made. We ask (3) that during intense fitness/routines (highest being before important competitions) that assignments be given that would allow the student/athlete to stay safe/healthy. We make ourselves available upon short notice to test any fitness requirement to reduce the total load on the athlete.

The letters, I have mutually signed by myself (coach on behalf of program), parent and athlete, have been an effective first step to communicate. I follow-up with a call to the Phy Ed instructor early Fall to check in and confirm important dates (Travel Meets/State/Regions/Nationals).

I have come across Phy Ed teachers who brush our communication off , I find out through other sources they believe me odd, doubt the veracity and motives of our communication, AD's who make no time, limited time or ignore the communications. Many, most Phy Ed Teachers, in my experience read and appreciate being involved even if they can not alter their delivery of required cirriculum. Those folks have been helpful on behalf of my athletes. even if they have not showed consideration, I continue, respectfully and with integrity, as it is what I teach my athletes (and I am confident they demonstrate).

The best case scenario happened this year when a local Middle School Phy.Ed.Teacher had several of my athletes in class. During busy Nov. (pre-season load is high and the first meets coming allowed them to test out of weight resistance training/volleyball/basketball. They had assignments/tests on game rules and etc. We tested out of the running unit in Feb. Using our gym treadmill, Coach's Eye vid and coach sig. we verified the performance. During the travel meets they were allowed to present vids of routines for grade. During the couple weeks, March/April, during the run-up to State/Regions they were allowed to do written assignments and submit vids of their competed routines. They were recognized in the class, respectfully treated and enjoyed the class. As we neared the end of the year I had the girls send a Thank You card to the Phy Ed teacher and AD.

Now above aside, do not get me started on sharing an athlete with a MS or HS track program. Fraught with injury and rehab. has been my limited experience.

EJ, I suggest you involve the gymnastics coach or business owner in your quest for consideration of your gymnast. Even if nothing comes of it, the coach/business will be better prepared to anticipate for your everyday athlete.

Best, SBG -
Awesome. Will meet with her coach on this. He may already be one step ahead of me in that he mentioned in the beginning the request must come from other than the parent with appropriate literature and documentation. Great advice!

i'm late to this. But also live in CA and had the same issue this year. I ended up getting a Dr's note stating she couldn't do "high impact" anything, and gave it to the school. PE teacher now has her walk, instead of run.

Wow. This seems like a crazy powertrip. Makes me grateful that dd can opt out of phys Ed beginning in 5th grade if she has at least 2 hours (!) of physical activity a week. Uh yeah, I think we have that covered. .

OP, I hope you reach a resolution.

The fact that the teacher expected this and the administration supported it is beyond concerning to me. What exactly are they trying to achieve here? Proving that they have "absolute control" or a instilling a genuine love for being active and teaching students about health and fitness in a way that will serve them long term? I think the answer is obvious and unfortunately it has nothing to do with the health and wellness of the student. :(
I agree. This is the week they returned to school, and I have opted not to have her make up any runs after school at all. She has done two at lunch so far. I have had an agreement with my DD that any grade lower than a B meant dropping from team, but I am not sure I can hold her to that in good conscience for final report cards. Two teachers were really quite ridiculous regarding independent study, and even though she completed the insanity they assigned, I still think they are trying to rake her over the coals a bit. I am not sure what I will do if the (previously) As in those classes come home as Cs. It puts me in a position I don't want to be in, though.

I would go with rewarding her effort, not results as I said to my son, a D in French is acceptable (he can't spell in English, let alone a foreign language, but a B is science is unacceptable.

At many school systems, if gymnastics isn't an offered physical education activity, you can use the hours she there in place of PE. So, in our school district, they allow optional gymnasts to come late to school (while attending morning gym hours) during what would typically be their PE time. The rest of the school day is as normal. Wonder if that's an option you can discuss with superintendent?

I would go with rewarding her effort, not results as I said to my son, a D in French is acceptable (he can't spell in English, let alone a foreign language, but a B is science is unacceptable.

That was what the B cutoff was supposed to be! Ha! My older dd would have a talk if she brought home under an A- because it has never happened. My younger DD, while very, very smart, has focus issues and the As/Bs combo has been her threshold. She is absolutely capable of straight As, but her personality just doesn't jive with that level of focus. You are right though. She worked harder on independent study than she has all year, by a mile, so whatever grades she gets, my reaction should reflect that effort.

we don't have grades at the end of the year like you do, we have 2 categories, effort and attainment and they are marked as Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Poor or Unacceptable.
Fairly similar, no? Excellent= A, Good= B, Sat= C, Poor= D, Unacc= F. Their behavior/effort is graded together on a scale of 1 (best) to 4.

This doesn't sound all that different from what my son's teacher required in middle school, also in CA. The only difference is that they could make up the runs they missed before or after school on days when they weren't also running in class. And they were running up to 5 miles on the long runs at least once a month. If you couldn't run you were required to walk. In fact, even special ed kids in wheelchairs participated -- with aids pushing the chair. My son mostly walked, asthma inhaler in hand. Not saying it is right, just that it isn't entirely unusual.

Luckily we live in a district that allows of "Off Campus Independent Study" for PE credit for kids participating in an individual sport who train at least 10 hrs. / week and compete on a regional level or above. Both we and the gym have to jump through lots of hoops to get it, and I'm grateful for the coach for doing so. This year they added the requirement that the coach had to meet all of the same requirements as a teacher, so he had to get a TB test before DD could get her PE contract.

We do have a 504 plan in place for some different issues with our son. I would say that is the way to go to get special consideration / exemptions. It will take a doctor's diagnosis of something that would impact her ability to run (but not look ridiculous for a gymnast -- are you sure she doesn't have mild asthma (wink)?) and a whole mess of paperwork, but I've found the schools to be entirely reasonable once they have the covering paperwork in place.

Good luck.

It sounded like in the OP that when her DD finished the 2.5 and there was still time left in class, the teacher was requiring her to continue to run or walk. She was not allowed to rest? I am a runner and my DS runs XC, but I think the entire thing sounds ludicrous! Some of the 12 year-old girls (and boys for that matter) on his XC team cannot run a 7 MM.

Yea I understood that, but why wouldn't she just run slower especially if she's injured. Or walk?

Given her age and the amount being asked of her, I would seriously advise my child to skip some stuff and go with the lower grade. I know that a lot of gymnasts value doing well in school, but worrying about gpa in 6th grade, to the point of pain and exhaustion, seems to be a little much. In all of my life, I have never once been asked about my middle school gpa. Sometimes we get caught up in metrics (I've been there!) and lose sight of the really important things.

It might be a good time for a lesson about choices and fixing the things within your control. Schools can sometimes be very rigid places, for good or bad, and it can take a lot of energy to change the things we don't like. If you have the energy and see the value in fighting for this change, then more power to you. However, your victory may not come in time to impact your daughter.

Good luck to you!

This is mind boggling! A 7 minute mile in 6th grade is ridiculous. Requiring all this distance running is ridiculous. What if a kid is a sprinter? I ran track and cross country. Some of the sprinters, placed top 3 in state, would have never been able to hang in well for 2.5 mile runs and likely would not have been able to pull a 7 minute mile.

I think that this situation is one that I would take to the school board if needed. I would be pushing for a medical 504 to have my kids out of PE too.

Wow, just wow!!

With Dd (elite track) I had a meeting with her principal ( private school, Australia) to which I took a letter from her gym program.

The out come was more then satisfactory-Dd just has to mention to her PE teacher when she needs to sit PE out....however this has been translated to -I- have to mention to the PE teacher times for sitting out PE ( like the week leading into Aussie Champs ) as Dd ( normally an intelligent child) cannot comprehend that there could ever be too much PE:)

OP , nothing ( grades etc) is more important then your Dd's long term physical well being, good luck :)

Those standards are outrageous on so many levels. They should be exposing kids to a variety of physical activity, helping them find something that is a good fit. Forcing every kid to run distances as the bulk of the PE curriculum will do nothing but injure kids and turn them off of physical activity, and it sounds like incredibly lazy teaching. Do other PE classes in the school do something besides run? There are plenty of other options to get the student's heart rate up that are better suited to kids who are not runners. I consider myself a pretty fit & active person and do not enjoy running at all, but would happily play a game involving sprinting- lacrosse, soccer, field games. Gosh, I guess I'm lucky that when I was in school the PE teachers go to was badminton!

I also live in CA. I feel your pain. I tried to get independent study for one of my kids, and know of others who have also, specifically for PE, with no luck. (I live in what is considered one of the best academic-and best funded- school districts in the state...which is a joke compared to our old school district on the east coast academically, but try getting out of PE in middle school here and it's more important than skipping math class). Because, you know, PE has everything to do with academically preparing your kids for high school:).

Here is where you can find independent study requirements/guidelines in the state (hope this link works, or cut and paste): http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/eo/is/

No school district in CA is required to offer independent study for PE or anything else, unfortunately. Maybe look at surrounding school districts to see if they have options for independent PE (homeschooling for PE is equal to independent study, at least in my district), and suggest a similar plan to your school principal? Or offer a solution of something like 'could you substitute 10 hours of gymnastics practice signed off by a coach in lieu of the wednesday run'? If that doesn't work, have you considered writing a respectful letter or email (or better yet, speak in person) to your school board? When a reasonable person hears the situation you are facing, and that your school will not consider a solution(s) that you have offered, it's absolutely ludicrous...the school board members can sometimes through the bureaucracy.

My kids are now in private school...we looked at several and every one of them had flexibility on PE for athletes. Best of luck.

I know that some school boards are completely ineffective; but at least for me, I would write my particular school board rep. I know that he is pretty good and I think that he would do his best to help fight for a resolution that doesn't involve a kid having to take a bad grade in PE because they can't regularly keep up with running 7 miles on Wednesdays!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back