Parents Oy Safe Sport for my 17 yr old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter took it… I thought it was a stupid idea at first. I have since changed my view… knowledge is power. Why would I not want my daughter to have this information?

It doesn’t make the sport safer.

I disagree with your opinion.

I had a similar opinion at first… but not anymore. There is and has been a noticeable shift in culture. Every little thing that reinforces the shift is helpful.

Things take time… but the overall culture of gymnastics is very different than when I started coaching in the 90’s. Is most of that over the last 5 years or so… yes.

It doesn’t make the sport safer. I’ll be sure to bring up the issue on every thread I come across on abusive coaches and mean girls. Of which there are many here.

Again, there are coaches doing it for the gymnasts.
Because every 18yo is as wonderful and mature as your daughter? Because there is never another 18yo who might see something outside of a coaches view and understand something isnt right?

Obviously based upon your responses not going to change your opinion, so continue on with your ignorance.

I disagree with your opinion.

I had a similar opinion at first… but not anymore. There is and has been a noticeable shift in culture. Every little thing that reinforces the shift is helpful.

Things take time… but the overall culture of gymnastics is very different than when I started coaching in the 90’s. Is most of that over the last 5 years or so… yes.
This is a great perspective and I appreciate it a lot.

In our state, they can’t drive at 16. Not by themselves. Not whenever.

In parts of our state they can get a permit at 16. Others not without a class in school. They can’t get a license until they have had a permit 6 months and a day.

My kid has had a license for a year. She can’t drive at all in 3 counties and the 5 bouroughs of NYC. Not even with me in the car. She can’t drive with more than 1 friend in the car by themselves. And she can’t drive after 9pm unless coming home from work or a school event. At 18 she gets a full license
In my state, at age 15 years and six months, teens may go to any Bureau of Motor Vehicles to take the written exam and eye exam to get their learner’s permit.

Then they need to enroll in and complete a driver education program at a licensed driver training school, which includes 24 hours of classroom and 8 hours of driving time. Since schools no longer work in cooperation with the driver training school to make it less expensive, it costs $300-$600. The classroom time can be done in person or online, but the state limits the amount of time the student can spend doing the online portion in one sitting.

Depending on the driving school, teens either need to have 2 modules or the entire classroom part completed before doing the 8 hours of driving time.

They also have to complete 50 hours total of driving with a parent or guardian. This includes at least 10 hours of night driving. Teens must hold the temporary permit for at least six months before taking the driver’s license test.

Once the teen turns 16 years old and has had their learner’s permit for at least 6 months, they are eligible to take the road test at the BMV. Once the teen passes, the teen will receive a Probationary Driver’s License. There are still safety restrictions in place for the driver:

Nighttime driving is restricted from 12 a.m. and 6 a.m., except for work, school, religious events, or medical emergencies until teens have had their probationary license for one year or turn 18. They can’t have more than one non-family member passenger without parental supervision they have had their probationary license for one year or turn 18.

After having their license for a year, if they are still under 18, they still have some restrictions. Nighttime driving is restricted from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., except for work, school, religious events or medical emergencies, and the number of passengers is only restricted by the number of originally installed safety belts in the vehicle.

Once they are 18, there are no restrictions. Since the training is so expensive, some families opt to skip it and have the teen wait until they are 18 to get their license.

Let's all refrain from calling people or ideas ignorant or naive or anything similar.

Everyone can have opinions.

Ignorant - (adj) lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.

Naive - (adj) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment

In the context of this topic there is nothing derogatory about calling a stance ignorant or naive. Its a descriptive term that states an opinion about another's opinion. No one is calling anyone an idiot or an @ss or anything like that. If we start censoring words such as these, idk what to say. I think of the rapper Scroobius Pip "I find this interesting, 'cause in the end they are just words. You give them power when you cower, man, it's so absurd"

I will say no more, but I will always speak in support of respectful dialogue even if it might make others uncomfortable. Pax

Coaching in the high school, I get to take a battery of similar trainings every single year-to the tune of 2 to 3 hours. Abuse, bullying, concussions, CPR, emergency response plan, blood borne, etc, etc. After 20 years, it does get annoying. That being said, I clearly understand the rationale behind having all adults trained and reminded about the signs, reporting avenues, and other information surrounding abuse. High school athletes don’t have to take this type of course, but we routinely have chats with our kids about how your responsibilities and consequences change when you hit that “magic” birthday.

And
Coaching in the high school, I get to take a battery of similar trainings every single year- High school athletes don’t have to take this type of course,
Exactly my point.

As a coach you are responsible for your athletes. While the athletes have a basic moral obligation to be fair to each other, as do all humans. That doesn’t always happen. Ultimately its up to the adults that are actually in charge, to keep things safe.

If my kid was coaching, no problem.

I think the difference between high school and club sports is that high school is "contained". If you are competing in high school, you ARE in high school.

Club sports can compete after high school. So once you are 18, you are considered as an adult in the club and you need to be treated as such. I am sure insurance for the high schools covers all high school students. Insurance for clubs probably changes once people hit 18. So, yes, it is different. They have to treat 18 yo as legal adults and require the same things from all legal adults.

Does insurance change when they turn 18? What about all those kids who are 17 at the start of the year and then turn 18 during the year, does the gym have to do something different? Question for US gym owners.

I am an Australian gym owner and insurance is exactly the same for adult gymnasts as for child gymnasts. The cost is exactly the same and the type of cover they get is exactly the same whether they are 5, 15, 25, 35 etc.

The only difference is that we actually get cheaper insurance for gymnasts over 50 years old.

The fastest growing age group in Australian gymnastics clubs in the past few years has been people in their 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. So in my state we are offered cheaper membership and registration for this age to encourage clubs to offer more over 50’s gymnastics programs. Often a good revenue boost for clubs too because they can offer classes for retired people during school hours, when gyms are often quite empty.

Another question in regards to this safe sport course? Does every gymnast training in a private gymnastics club have to complete the course? Or is it just for gymnasts who are participating in USAG sanctioned competitions and events?

Not a gym owner but....

I have heard that the reason there are not alot of adult gym classes is insurance. I was looking for one once, and the gym D was at did not have them due to insurance. I did not ask further questions.

Safe Sport covers USAG so I think if you are at a USAG gym, you have to take it at 18 before you can compete. Not sure about practice...

The use of the word ignorant (or naive) is many times offensive.

Posting incorrect data is also offensive.

Please read the following...

I will give you my opinion... while I do believe that the particular test in question here is a good thing... I do not believe that the Safe Sport system as a whole is transparent enough and this could be enough in my mind to make this thread very opinionated.

Insurance for clubs probably changes once people hit 18. So, yes, it is different. They have to treat 18 yo as legal adults and require the same things from all legal adults.
2 things.

Based on the logic that they are adults, then technically every adult who steps foot in a gym should have to be safe sport certified. After all I got to gym meets and come in contact with minor gymnasts.

And if it’s about insurance then it’s just CYA.

Which is exactly what it is. USAG, covering their behinds. Making 18 yr olds take the training does not make the sport any safer.

Making 18 yr olds take the training does not make the sport any safer.

Ok... so I just want to get one thing clear. You are no longer talking about just your daughter... correct? You are talking about any 18 year old or older gymnast that is required to take the test that is not coaching?

Which is exactly what it is. USAG, covering their behinds. Making 18 yr olds take the training does not make the sport any safer.
And it doesn't hurt the 18yo either. And, it could make the sport safer. Just because your daughter already knows all of this does not mean everyone does. So it could help. And it doesn't hurt.

Ok... so I just want to get one thing clear. You are no longer talking about just your daughter... correct? You are talking about any 18 year old or older gymnast that is required to take the test that is not coaching?
I was never talking about just my daughter.

I don’t think any 18 yr old gymnast should be required to do this unless they are have direct influence/power aka coaching, employed by the gym.

I do not think this makes any kid safer. This is CYA and a platitude offered up by USAG, in the wake of a huge scandal. Hopefully the scandal itself woke parents up enough to make their young gymnasts aware. And the long prison sentences and lifetime bans made some coaches adjust their attitudes. But sadly. I personally don’t think so. In fact just seeing threads around here, makes me doubtful.

If a kid is doing gymnastics at 18, they very likely have been doing so for years Most likely for a decade or more. If they experienced abuse, sexual or other wise, bullying etc…. It has already happened.

If folks have not counseled their kids long before 18. The damage is done.

And many threads around here prove my opinion on this subject. I repeatedly see people justifying coaches behavior. I repeatedly see folks say oh that’s a huge red flag. Look for another gym. Oh and don’t tell anyone why you’re leaving just go. That is what makes the sport less safe.

Making 18 yr old gymnasts do the “training” who are graduating and will most likely be done with USAG in a few weeks to months, does not make the sport safer.

The sport is reflective of society as a whole.

Perhaps it would be better if this was a course that kids took as a requirement in High School.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back