Parents Oy Safe Sport for my 17 yr old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The sport is reflective of society as a whole.

Perhaps it would be better if this was a course that kids took as a requirement in High School.
You are missing the point. By high school it’s too late.

These conversations need to start age appropriately in pre-school.

No grown up should ask you to keep a secret.
Body autonomy. Not forcing a kid to hug someone and build from there.
A boy (person) teasing you doesn’t mean they like you.
No means no. No matter who it is even Mommy or Daddy just tickling you.
Tell, Tell, Tell.

And there should be specific rules spelled out for parents and gymnasts from day one. I don’t care how talented you are or how much you pay. You behave badly, you are benched.

The sport is reflective of society as a whole.

Perhaps it would be better if this was a course that kids took as a requirement in High School.

We have a series of classes that start in 1st/2nd grade that deal with these topics on an age-appropriate level.

The number of families that opt their kids out of this kind of instruction is astounding.

@Deleted member 18037 It seems like you have a different solution that you would use besides the current system. What would it be? Would you have USA Gymnastics implement Safe Sport training from day 1 in the sport?

@Deleted member 18037 It seems like you have a different solution that you would use besides the current system. What would it be? Would you have USA Gymnastics implement Safe Sport training from day 1 in the sport?
This is not on the kids. This is on the parents and coaches.

They need standards and accountability first. They need the training. Especially coaches.

Far too often coaches are given a by, well because they are busy, not trained etc….. get them trained. A part of being a coach of minors is dealing with parents, and kids behavior. It’s not just teaching skills.

Parents and athletes. Basic behavior requirements. If you parent/child can’t be decent humans then guess what. You are out. First offense a day, then a week, then sorry no meet. You can have Biles talent but if you are being a horrible, mean little sh……. called on it. My child and I have to sign her school and athletics code of conduct. Way back in elementary school even.

At our old gym, there have been parents who have been asked to leave. And they needed to.

And regarding grooming, that should start way early. And unfortunately far to many will still be taken in.

I still remember when I first found this sight and young kids were going to meets and camp with coaches, no parents. And I expressed shock. And folks went you don’t understand this is how it’s done. And coaching requiring all kinds of ridiculous things. Oh you don’t understand this is how high level gymnastics is. And then all hell broke loose.

Yeah no. That which you allow continues.

And thats not on an 18 year old club gymnast.

My kid and her lacrosse teammates are dealing with horrible coaching. They are teens, we encourage them to advocate for themselves, but us parents have their backs. They don’t need a class for them to know the coach is an a$$. He is allegedly being made to take a class on how to coach teenage girls. The girls are skeptical, many don’t plan to play this year. They aren’t making the girls take a class.

I second this question. It is a step in the right direction. The legal stakes get higher (for the perpetrators and for the gym) if an abuser is 18 or older-whether a coach or an athlete. Seems like a logical threshold for taking a course like this.

This is not on the kids. This is on the parents and coaches.

They need standards and accountability first. They need the training. Especially coaches.

Far too often coaches are given a by, well because they are busy, not trained etc….. get them trained. A part of being a coach of minors is dealing with parents, and kids behavior. It’s not just teaching skills.

Parents and athletes. Basic behavior requirements. If you parent/child can’t be decent humans then guess what. You are out. First offense a day, then a week, then sorry no meet. You can have Biles talent but if you are being a horrible, mean little sh……. called on it. My child and I have to sign her school and athletics code of conduct. Way back in elementary school even.

At our old gym, there have been parents who have been asked to leave. And they needed to.

And regarding grooming, that should start way early. And unfortunately far to many will still be taken in.

I still remember when I first found this sight and young kids were going to meets and camp with coaches, no parents. And I expressed shock. And folks went you don’t understand this is how it’s done. And coaching requiring all kinds of ridiculous things. Oh you don’t understand this is how high level gymnastics is. And then all hell broke loose.

Yeah no. That which you allow continues.

And thats not on an 18 year old club gymnast.

My kid and her lacrosse teammates are dealing with horrible coaching. They are teens, we encourage them to advocate for themselves, but us parents have their backs. They don’t need a class for them to know the coach is an a$$. He is allegedly being made to take a class on how to coach teenage girls. The girls are skeptical, many don’t plan to play this year. They aren’t making the girls take a class.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.

If you parent/child can’t be decent humans then guess what. You are out.

Do you really believe that it is as simple as what you stated above?

I second this question. It is a step in the right direction. The legal stakes get higher (for the perpetrators and for the gym) if an abuser is 18 or older-whether a coach or an athlete. Seems like a logical threshold for taking a course like this.
If an 18 yr old club athlete is an abuser, they have been abusing for years prior. They just don’t turn 18 and start abusing. And if a kid is being abused it didn’t start when they turned 18. Rather like talking about birth control , when the kid comes home pregnant.

Does everyone think Ted Bundy waited until he was 18 to become a psycho.

Folks keep bringing up the legal stakes, that is CYA. This “training“ at 18 is not making 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 and 14 yr olds etc… any safer.

I’d like all the folks who seem to think this training has made the sport safer to give me the specific examples.

Gee my kid has been treated like crud for years. And thank goodness she took that training 6 weeks before she finished her time in gymnastics because she has now been taught that behavior is bad and is willing to turn the coach in.

Or oh my goodness this girl at my kids gym has been mean and nasty for years, but she took that safe sport training and she has realized how horrible she has been. She has been making amends these last few weeks before she moves on to her next life adventure.

What making folks accountable to rules? Yes.

You explain the rules. You set the expectation and the consequences for not following them. And then you implement it. But you actually have to mean it.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.

Seriously. Don’t understand that children are not responsible for the coaches behavior.

You don’t understand the gymnasts have spent years in a gym as minors, and only perhaps weeks or a few months as a technical “adult”.

And going forward all those mean girl, red flag, move but don’t say anything threads.

I will remind everyone if they don’t call the gym/coaches on their behavior and don’t report it to safe sport, they are making the kids and the sport, less safe.

Seriously. Don’t understand that children are not responsible for the coaches behavior.

You don’t understand the gymnasts have spent years in a gym as minors, and only perhaps weeks or a few months as a technical “adult”.

Again… I don’t have any idea what your point is. Your ability to get your point across to me is poor. You type and state things in a way that make no sense.

Again… I don’t have any idea what your point is. Your ability to get your point across to me is poor. You type and state things in a way that make no sense.
It’s not difficult.

Keeping children safe is on the coaches and parents. Not on a person who just turned 18.

What is unclear about those sentences?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back