Pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I am getting my braces on my teeth in a couple days :eek: and I know that it is going to be REALLY painful. I have gymnastics the day of or the day before gymnastics, so what do you guys recommend I do to dull the pain and still go to gymnastics? I really don't want to miss it, as I just got my roundoff back handspring back and I don't want to "misplace" it again! Thank you very much!

Eat soft foods after you get your braces for a few days or until the pain is less. Eat popsicles or suck on ice as it numbs your mouth.
If you are allowed take some ibuprofen (Advil) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help with the pain.
You can put an ice pack around your mouth if you would like.
And make sure you get wax from your orthodontist because the brackets mght cut your cheeks, they will show you how to put it on.

I say go to gym, once you start you will almost forget about them. And dont worry about it feeling too wierd it gets better and you dont notice them at all after a while. Make sure you bring a tooth brush to gym if you eat a snack there.

If anyone can handle the pain or braces, its gymnasts, im sure most of us have dealt with worse pain then braces!

How funny, I just posted a question about this last night.

Be careful about the wax. My DD had wax in her mouth last night, and it flew loose while she was tumbling and almost choked on it. However, it is her cheek more than her teeth that are really hurting.

MamaofEnS

My dd got braces on her top teeth last Septemeber and was fine with gym practices. Her mouth was sore, but as she put it, "It's ok, mommy--it doesn't hurt bad enough for me to miss practice." LOL She loves practice and rarely complains even when she is in a bit of pain. She had a frenectomy done a few weeks ago (a procedure where they remove the band of tissue connecting your top lip to your upper gums) and she was fine to go to practice the very next morning. These gymnasts are very tough and can handle a lot of pain and discomfort.

I would take some ibuprofin before you go to your appointment so that it has time to kick in when you leave. I agree with the other posters on eating soft foods and ibuprofin as needed. Good luck!!!

Oh, after I get used to my braces, they are giving that to me also! Jeez, I forgot about that. :p Thanks everyone! I'm actually starting to get slightly excited :) I WILL NOT miss practice, no matter how awful I feel. :) The suggestions are awesome. Thanks!

I heard that chewing gum all day before getting braces tightened or put on helps. I wouldn't know from personal experience though :p

the same thing happened to me! I got my braces on one of the days im in gym. It's really not that bad. Make sure to take painkiller though. I took both ibuprofen and tylenol to make sure I wasn't in pain. I guess wax could help but i didn't use it because it wouldn't stay in. Bring it just in case though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back