Coaches Request for ROBHS Drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a new coach (XCEL Bronze and Silver). The girls learned BHS in September and put together ROBHS in December. I feel pretty good about their roundoff rebounds and their standing BHS. But the ROBHS is a crap shoot. Specifically, the transition from roundoff to BHS is very sloppy, resulting in very strange-looking BHS. I try to explain to the kids what they’re doing wrong, but verbalizing the correction isn’t sinking in. I think I would get a lot more mileage by setting up drills.

Do you recommend any drills for breaking down the transition from roundoff to BHS? I understand that a roundoff rebound doesn’t really prepare students for BHS because a rebound goes up and a BHS goes back. How to I replicate the shape and mechanics of the back handspring “punch”?

I have found backward rolls off an elevated cheese mat into BHS, can help replicate the skill. I also have the kids on the tramp jumping feet infront of them than into the BHS. Handstand snapdowns into a full BHS or even landing on their stomach versus feet may help. Is the issue that feet are behind them in the R/O? Are the hands slow out of the R/O? Breaking it down to find the root cause will help you assemble drills!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back