Parent overboard?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So at the gym this past week my group was on bars but because of my injury i had been working some dance on beam. When Team is in the gym there are generally a ton of little kids in pre-school class and they are the cutest kids to watch. on this night we had 3 tumblebee groups(ages 3-5) when I saw that there was a girl who was really shy and misbehaving (so basically getting distracted) She was just running around on the floor and the coaches sat her on a mat as a "time-out" so she would listen.she was behaving and the coaches were doing there job and she started behaving getting a little side-tracked at times but for the most part doing what she was supposed to. That is when her mom barged into the gym and interupted another coach working with a girl ona differnt beam (around 3 or 4) and told her that she needed to see her daughter right away. so the coach walked across the floor to tell the other coach that a girl in her class' mom neede to see her. so she like yanked the kid up and carried her into the bathroom (that is right next to the beam i was on) and started yelling at her. the little girl ran out crying and was afraind her mom was going to get mad and held back, as I help with those classes a lot I asked her if she wanted to go back over and she nodded her head so i walked her back over to her class and she carried on but her mom was still standing next to the low beam. I feel likeit distracted most of our gym and the fact that our team head coach had to come over and ask her to leave the gym, I thought was a litlle unexceptable on her part as a parent, l know that i am just a gymnast and i know its a lot of money but i feel that a 3-5 year old doesnt have a really long attention spand. they see mats and they want to run and jump on them. thats what my parents always told me was that when i was little and in tumbling i always just ran around. I just wanted to know your opinion on this! It upset me a little that she took time away from other kids and made a big deal out of a little girl having fun. what do you guys think?

Yes, you're right. A parent shouldn't be able to come into the gym like that. But in her defense, unless she has an older child in gym, she may not know that she shouldn't be the one disciplining her child while she's in the gym. These kinds of things should be spelled out to parents ahead of time, even in the rec classes... that while her daughter is in the gym, the coach is in charge of the discipline. Probably the mom is embarassed by her daughter's behavior and feels like it reflects badly on her.

I have tried, on occasion, to shoot daggers at my child with my eyes when she is acting in a way that I don't think is appropriate in the gym.
:mad:=> => => (me shooting daggers with my eyes)

I do see where your coming from and you make a good point. But what I hadnt noticed until I was at practice last night wwas that we actually have signs in the waiting room that say in bold letters "No Parents in the gym" Or "Ask the coach before entering" and a few like that. We also have a dorr that closes the gym of from the gym that is always kpt close (we had a few babies that had escaped into the gym haha)But thanks for some explanation, and I know all about the dagger eyes...I got those a lot when I was in level 3 or 4 haha. Like I said I was just looking at itthrough a parent or coaches point of view.

You're right. She should be able to read the signs. And a coach should take her aside after an incident like this to remind her that, yes, those signs really DO apply to HER!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back