Parents Perspective on Moving Out of Gymnastics To Tumbling Exhibition Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

JennyJones

We've been on a rollercoaster the last six months. After competition season ended (level 5 for an 8 year old), we decided that her gym was too intense and switch to a different gym that has a 3 day/week practice schedule (and early release times) for kids working toward level 6. Well, at the new gym, the head coach was a Russian man with a booming voice which scared the heck out of my daughter and she wound up crying etc. etc.

So now, she doesn't want to go back and rather from hopping from gym to gym, I think we may just make a change in sports. I believe gymnastics is just too big of a time commitment and all she really really likes is doing floor routines anyway. It's sad because she's very good and shes put so much time into the sport.

So, I found a dance place close by that has a tumbling exhibition team. They perform with the dancers and I think my daughter would love performing without the pressure of going to meets and having to do bars which she hates. We are doing a trial class on Friday (possibly Monday)

Feedback from those of you who have done something similar? I feel like I'm already mourning the loss of this sport and I'm afraid she's going to regret it.

Haven't done anything similar, but I would be very leery of doing tumbling at a dance studio. Many times they don''t have any decent mats and the instructor may/may not have any real gymnastics experience. Certainly ask alot of questions at the trial class and check out the mats they use, experience of the instructor, spotting etc.
Have you looked for a tramp and tumbling class at a gym? Many kids that love the tumbling of gymastics, but not the other events really like this option. Usually is a much safer option to a dance studio plus she'll learn new tumbling.

My oldest daughter competes acro dance. I'm told her routine looks just like a floor routine. . .my gymnast DD will be very quick to point out the differences LOL.

MHO, She's only 8. If she wants to try something new I say go for it. I wouldn't worry about her regretting her decision. After a break it's possible she'll have a renewed passion for gymnastics and doing a sport that incorporates flexibility and strength will make a transition back easier.

Good Luck!

she's only 8. you don't have to be concerned with regret until age 11.:)

my dd took 3months off gym and did dance and acro. She loved it but after the three months off she really missed gym and had asked to go back. I think the break did her a world of good, because it made her realise that she does love the sport. And grass isn't as green on the other side.

My daughter just left gymnastics for dance. She takes 2 acro and 1 lyrical class/week. She is loving her free time and loving "gym" at dance. We found this school through 2 dance instructor friends that recommend it.

As long as she is at a good school, I would not be concerned about safety. That being said, make sure she is at a good school.

As for leaving gymnastics, it always seems sad, but it is always for some reason for another. My daughter is very talented but crippled by fear. When she wrote what she likes about gymnastics, it was tumbling/handstands; not bars/vault/beam. She had no interest in Cheerleading, but is a beautiful dancer (in her Floor Exercise) so this was/is perfect for her.

There are other Moms here who've been through the same thing. Good luck to you and DD.

My only question - Is this something your DD has shown an interest in? Has she asked to stop gymnastics? Is there a Prep-Op/Excel program at your gym? If there is that is a program that usually has less of a time comitment still allows for competitions and usually is coached by a different coach than the usual team (at least from the gyms I've seen the programs at) That way she still gets the gym she loves and you get the less of a time commitment you want.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back