Parents Please keep one of our gymmies in your thoughts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Reaction score
Mo, our L10 who left for AK a couple months ago (i posted the link to the newspaper article where she got the full ride), she just lost her Dad Sunday.
They are going to wait until she comes home for Christmas to have his service. She just can't get away from school long enough and she doesn't really have the funds to buy last minute tickets. So, this is the best route for them.
She is heartbroken. She is a big daddy's girl. She is only 18, and feels her world is falling apart. I have lost both my parents..and it is the worst pain I have ever felt. Only thing I could think that would be more painful is the loss of one of my children.
She has a very strong support system there..with her coach and her team mates. And she has her coaches and team mates here. But it has to be hard to be there, when her heart and soul is here.
Just keep her in your thoughts. And if you pray..keep her in your prayers.

That is incredibly sad. Poor kid is so far from home and trying to deal with all those feelings. My prayers to her and the family.

that is just awful. It must be heartbreaking to be so far from home when that is where you really need to be. I'm glad she has a strong support system, sounds like she has wonderful friends. Prayers to her & her family.

Sending prayers for the gymnast, her family and you. I remember your posting how good she is at working with your DD and the pride you all felt in her scholarship. How fortunate that he could see her dream of becoming a college gymnasat come true, how sad he will not be able to see her perform (at least here, I know he will be watching).

If this girl is on scholarship at a D1 school a lot of them have "discretionary funds" that can be used for emergencies (flight to family funeral) such as you describe. It might be something she could look into to get home before Christmas...

Thank you all.
She has checked into all of this. Yes they would "help" her. (not sure to what extent). There is also such thing as bereavement flights..but when it gets down to it, since you are getting them last minute..its normaly still more expensive than a scheduled flight. (normaly bereavement flights are 50ish% off the last minute ticket price.)
She is also struggling with being able to be away from school for that long so early in the year. Not them not letting her go..but just missing too much being gone kinda thing. I believe that other family members are also having trouble getting here last minute like this. Not being able to get away from school, work ect. Esp in this economy..people just cant afford to just walk out for a few days.
She also has to deal with the estate as she is his soul heir. And she wouldnt have time to deal with that coming in for a couple days and heading back out.
So, for everyone involved I believe that is what they decided is best for them.
All that aside. Now or in Dec..she lost her dad..and is taking it really hard (as to be expected)

Ohmygod that's so so sad. I'll definitely keep her and her family, including her dad in my prayers! I was a major daddy's girl when I was little and he passed away in a drunk driving accident right before I turned 6. That was hard then, I can't imagine how hard it would be at 18 and as a freshman in college :-/ I hate when bad things happen to good people. :big hugs:

ahh. my heart just brakes for her. to know that she is there while she wants to be here. I will definetly be praying for her and her family through this difficult time. like someone else said she has to have been an amazing gymnast to get a scholarship,which tells me she is an amazing person inside in out. and even though he will never be here watching her again he will be watching from above

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back