WAG pointing your toes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First of all every pre-optional gymnast I know doesn't have this problem. So, I can point my toes, but it's just not natural. I told my coach and she told me that I have REALLY un-flexible ankles. I asked her if she had any stretches for me, and she told me to roll it around everyday but it's not working. I have been doing that for about 2 weeks now. :mad:

Do you know any stretches I can do? And do you know anyone with this problem?
Thanks so much,
Katie :)

Pointing is a learned skill for a lot of people, don't feel alone at all in that! As far as stretches go to help, I'd go to Target or Walmart and get some therabands in the workout/fitness aisle. They may be knock off bands, they're fine too. You're looking for rubbery strips basically. They usually come in 3 packs of different resistances, start with the beginner band. It will say which is which in the box, but you'll feel it too when you stretch 'em. Wrap it around the bottom of your foot, arch and toes, and point away through the resistance. Do them one at a time and together, put something to hold between your feet. I've never heard of therabands hurting anyone so moving up with band tension is a "when you're ready." deal. Do it sitting down with straight legs. I'd start with 25 on each foot and 25 pointing with feet together on the low resistance band and see how you feel after.

DO flex your feet and stretch your pike good and long after you use them. This can make your calves sore if you don't.

To stretch for pointe work dances will often sit on the ground with the ties pointed and have another Dancer gently press down on the on their feet just before the toe joint Start this gently other wise it will hurt. Another while standing is demonstrated below ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1362013785.540900.jpg. Stretching your own toes against the floor. Again do it gently and preferably on carpet something soft.

Try lots of massage of the feet. You can also roll a small ball around the sole of the foot regularly. You could try sitting on your heels, lean back a little and lift your knees off the ground, keeping your legs and feet parallel, gently stretching down the shins and into the front of the ankles and feet. Linsul's exercises will help to strengthen the foot-pointing muscles, they may also help your spring, e.g. into leaps.

Hi, this isn't exactly a stretch, but try just pointing your toes ALL the time- while watching tv, walking around the house, etc. I had a hard time keeping my toes pointed too, but after about two weeks of pointing them all day :D they stay pointed automatically. Hope this helps-

Hi, this isn't exactly a stretch, but try just pointing your toes ALL the time- while watching tv, walking around the house, etc. I had a hard time keeping my toes pointed too, but after about two weeks of pointing them all day :D they stay pointed automatically. Hope this helps-
, wow does that really work? i'll try it. Thanks :D

Another stretch is kneel with your bottom resting on your heels so that the top of your foot is resting against the floor. Lift your knees up by pushing your hands on the ground and then push your ankles forward - it's hard to explain but it's a good stretch

Strengthening the point (Linsuls advice) is far better the stretching. Gymnasts need strong feet. Stretching without strengthening in the pursuit of a great toe point can leave the foot prone to injury. The above exercise is often done poorly, with ankles rolled out.

I wouldn't recommend pointing them all the time, all day. If you are going to practice pointing a lot make sure you also practice flexing the feet or do some calf stretches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back