Popa

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

AMR

Could someone please explain a 'popa' jump? I have seen some that look like a full straight jump with a straddle in the middle and some that look like they practically straddle all the way around. Which is correct?

Drills?

Thanks,
Ann

A popa, by definition, is a full turning straddle jump.
I've always taught it so that the gymnast does a half turn with her legs together, straddles, then closes the legs together to finish the full turn.Popa herself did it this way, so I guess it can't be too wrong! I'd imagine it would be very difficult to do it straddled all the way round, I've never seen it myself!

As for drills -
Good Straddle jump
Good Straddle jump 1/2
Lots of the above on a tramp
introduce the extra half turn when you are happy.
A strong arm action is essential
Work on the flexibility/power needed by hanging on a bar with a physio band strapped to both thighs and straddling legs up as fast as possible such as in this video at around 30 secs YouTube - ‪Gymnastics strength training | Gymnastics conditioning training with resistance bands‬‏

My gymnasts find it much easier to do from standing, rather than with a chasse or run into it, don't know if they are just an odd bunch though!

Good luck!

Thanks so much to both of you. I didn't realize 'popa' was a person! My daughter told me her coach said popa meant 'butt' in russian! :)

Named after Gina Popa, who currently works at a gym near me. Lovely woman, just thought I'd add my 2c.

The Popa--Named for Celestina Popa

Named after Gina Popa, who currently works at a gym near me. Lovely woman, just thought I'd add my 2c.

The skill was actually named for Celestina Popa, coached by Rodica-Elena Lazar. Celestina owns a gym in Maple Ridge, British Columbia. Rodica owns a gym in the U.S. in Denton, TX.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back