Coaches Pre team ideas!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mikala Collier

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
This is my first time posting a topic so forgive me if I seem out of the loop. Still trying to get a hang of this.
I need some ideas though! I am a trampoline and tumbling coach. I coach all of our teams and a lot of rec classes but I am struggling with out pre-team. There are 9 kids ranging from age 5-8. My issue is structure and motivation with them. What kind of things do you guys do (gymnastics or t&t) to keep your younger team athletes working hard. Charts? Progression sheets? I need new ideas!!!

Hello! Welcome to the board! I absolutely love coaching pre-team groups as the kids tend to be very excited and anxious to learn, but it is a bit of learning curve as they start devoting more time to form and cleaning things up. Some things I have found to be helpful are skill charts- a sticker for a new skill. It helps the kids see their progression. I've also done a sticker chart for major conditioning milestones- I picked out 12 major conditioning skills and # of reps and they would get a sticker when they reached it. They would get little prizes for every 4 stickers (trampoline time, hair ties, socks, to be in charge of conditioning). It helped make the increased emphasis on strength a little bit more enjoyable for them and also helped them to see their progress.
Games and "challenges" are also great for little ones and get them really excited. Our HC remarked the other day that she doesn't think my little ones even realize they are doing conditioning. Conditioning relay races are a big hit- different runs, jumps, lunges, mix in some silly stuff. Challenges like who can hold their chin up over the bar or a press the longest. Who can go the longest without falling on beam (you would need to adapt this one, but I'm sure you could find something). If we are struggling with straight legs or pointed toes on something I will have the kids make 2 lines and go one at a time performing the same skill- say cartwheel for example. If they perform the skill correctly (usually I'll just pick 1 or 2 criteria to look for specifically) their team is still "in." It's amazing how many turns you can get through with the kids doing the skill they've been getting sloppy on correctly! I usually give a few chances for kids who slip up and offer a few corrections. The team that has 2-3 misses first is ultimately "out," but I try not to call them out on a specific child/children, just- "I saw this team have bent knees a few times, so they are out."
Sometimes I will announce I will pick the "tightest" or the "one with the best pointed feet" to be my demonstrator which gets the kids fired up. I'll also have them work on a specific skill (say cartwheel with straight legs), practice it a few times, and then we will go one at a time to see who can keep their legs straight with everyone watching. It's amazing how fast those knees will straighten out!
Sometimes the kids make up silly scenarios on their own- stories to go with the skill or conditioning. So when we do bear walks on beam they are bears crossing a stream on a log and they can't fall in. Or when we do tuck hangs on bars they are carrying library books back to the library and can't drop them in the water. So encourage your kids to get a little creative too! It's amazing what they can come up with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back