Parents Pre team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jme9876

Proud Parent
Is 8 too old too try out for pre team? What skills would you have to have prior typically to be considered? I just hate to sign her up for tryouts if she’s much older and she doesn’t have the skills.
She can do a cartwheel, round off, standing back kick over, front limber, and only one leg split. She can only do a back handspring with a spot. She cannot do a pullover on bars.

I agree. It definitely depends on the gym. I think 8 maybe the oldest my daughter's gym take for preteam and only for xcel. For reference, my daughter is 4 on preteam. At 8 in her previous gym she could tryout for xcel.

At our gym it would be less based on skills at that age than potential. A few novice girls with that list or less but extraordinary strength and ease/coachability came in for a screening and were sent straight to the group training for Level 3. Others with those skills but messy form or less strength were sent to advanced-level rec with the idea that xcel was an option for the next year.

How long has she been taking recreational classes? If she has been doing them for awhile and still doesn't have a pullover that may indicate that she has weaker potential to develop on bars than would be desirable in many gyms for JO.
She certainly sounds like she has a few good skills on floor. so in the gym I am in, if that was matched with the right personality them she would likely be offered a spot on something like Xcel.
Ultimately we can't really say because every gym is different, you could possibly ask her recreational coach nicely if they think it is worth her signing up.

I think it might be worth asking her current coach what they think. At our xcel only gym, a gymnast without a pullover would not make preteam, but preteam is part of our progressions - beginning, intermediate, intermediate plus, advanced, preteam, Xcel silver. A two foot pullover is required to move from intermediate to intermediate plus and a kickover is required to move from beginning to intermediate.

8 is not too old however some gyms would consider her too old. The main thing will be overall potential. Her current skills are a consideration but also how long she has been doing rec; her form; her willingness to take corrections. As some have noted, a lack of pullover could be an issue but less so if she has only taken tumbling classes and/or is new to gymnastics lessons. There are so many variables for her readiness and also different paths she could take (Xcel vs DP). If she truly wants to be on a team, my advice is to reach out to a few gyms for an evaluation.

Is 8 too old too try out for pre team? What skills would you have to have prior typically to be considered? I just hate to sign her up for tryouts if she’s much older and she doesn’t have the skills.
She can do a cartwheel, round off, standing back kick over, front limber, and only one leg split. She can only do a back handspring with a spot. She cannot do a pullover on bars.

I am the most cautious to promote at my gym, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

With that out of the way, I would be hesitant to promote a gymnast without their pullover to team. I consider a pullover, a nice cast to horizontal, a back hip circle, and a cast squat on to be mandatory requirements for anyone seeking to go to level three. Is she strong on beam and vault? She seems to have the requirements for team on floor, so if her vault and beam are solid then perhaps her bars could be overlooked and improved upon through private lessons.

On the topic of age, there are plenty of level threes who are eight years old! Don't worry, age is not a concern.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back