Parents Predicting levels...summer daycamp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
Good Morning!

I am attempting to figure out my summer schedule for daycare needs and was wondering where my girls will end up in after move ups. Is it typical to place based on current skills only or if where you expect them to be at the beginning of comp season?

DD1 has all level 4 skills plus cartwheel on beam and kip is coming along but hit or miss. Last practice she hit 4 in a row. What else does she need for lvl 5? Would she be placed with lvl 4 or lvl 5 group?

DD2 has all lvl 4 skills but RB bHS, but is close. Her Stride circle comes and goes with the weather. I think she will remain w/the last devleopment level doing mostly lvl 4 skills.

I just wish I knew thier schedules so I could get my summer sitters scheduled!

Good Morning!

I am attempting to figure out my summer schedule for daycare needs and was wondering where my girls will end up in after move ups. Is it typical to place based on current skills only or if where you expect them to be at the beginning of comp season?

DD1 has all level 4 skills plus cartwheel on beam and kip is coming along but hit or miss. Last practice she hit 4 in a row. What else does she need for lvl 5? Would she be placed with lvl 4 or lvl 5 group?

DD2 has all lvl 4 skills but RB bHS, but is close. Her Stride circle comes and goes with the weather. I think she will remain w/the last devleopment level doing mostly lvl 4 skills.

I just wish I knew thier schedules so I could get my summer sitters scheduled!

Every gym is different. some move up the girls to the level they think they will compete in. others keep them at the same level to see where they will be at the end of the summer. (that's the way our gym does it). There is no way of predicting unless you know how they handle it. You will have to ask the coaches what they think. I'm sure they already have thoughts on summer placement.

I did ask and they told me they will not share until May! I am just trying to speculate for summer planning purposes before all the camps are filled and sitters booked.

I did ask and they told me they will not share until May! I am just trying to speculate for summer planning purposes before all the camps are filled and sitters booked.

That's got to be frustrating not knowing! At DD's gym, if they are training that level in the spring you can count on that being the level they will be competing when the season arrives. The coaches' feeling is that they are confident that each child will have the necessary skills at some point, so it seems to be a given in the compulsory levels. DD was struggling in her 1st level 4 season with the FHC but still competed level 4. You're not kidding about things filling up. One camp that my kids like to go to filled up many of their specialty programs last month after opening registration in late Feb. Good luck!

Not only is every gym different, but I'd hate to speculate in case you speculate incorrectly! I think it would be worse to plan the schedule around the wrong level than hold off planning it. Luckily for us I know dd won't be moved up this year so I was able to peek at the "potential" schedule. It won't be official until May though, so you're not alone!

In our gym they'd be put in 5 and 4 over the summer for a season that starts in Oct. But - I know at least one local gym that would keep them in 4 and prep until they were perfect. No way of knowing for sure though! I'd wait it out.

Super frustrating, I know! At my DDs gym, the coaches don't let you know until about the week before school is out! What is up with that? I found it maddening our first year ... Now , like all things gymnastics, I plan for every eventuality and then cancel things at the last minute. (hello. Not knowing if you're going to need to have your daughter at a meet ready to compete at a state meet on a saturday morning at 8am a 3.5 hr drive away until the weekend before?)

That must be SO frustrating! We were given summer schedules about a month ago. Everything summer-related is planned super in advance around here! Last minute would be difficult. I hope you get it sorted soon. I agree that it's best to wait until you know for sure, though.

I feel your pain. We won't know Pickle's placement until early June probably, and then still might not know the actual schedule for another week.

Bascially, we have given up on camps (except for one week of gymnastics camp at the local U) and just use carpools and a babysitter who can drive.

At our gym the girls did an informal eval last week and are working on the next level skills for most of them, some who already know they won't have their skills by comp time are working current level skills. The rule at our gym starting this year is the girls have to have 100% of their bar skills to move up. The other skills are easier to perfect and will be there by comp time if they have 80% of the rest of their skills. I know it is hard but I would just schedule and you can always cancel sitters and if they go to camp they miss practice. Most coaches are ok with that as long as they are at least conditioning.
Good Luck

Finally got the schedule tonight for ODD....she is officially LVL4 on MWF.....YDD will be MW if she stays the same or TTH if she moves up....hoping to find out if I am 3 or 5 days a week at the gym tomorrow. Thank goodness its only 2 miles away!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back