WAG Premiere Sessions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
We have a few girls from our gym competing in a premiere session at this weekends meet. I have never heard of that until my daughter told me that’s why they are in a separate session from the other 10s. But, that’s all she knows.

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what that designation means...like how did those get selected? Looking at some girls in other “non-premiere” sessions I’m super confused because there are girls from other gyms who are well known elite qualifiers. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be the ones considered premiere.

Anyone care to explain? Thanks!

I think that these sessions tend to be at Nastia Liukin qualifiers. They seem to have the "top" girls with a shot to qualify. However, I know that two years in a row the junior qualifier at Atlanta Crown came from the session prior to the premier session (not this year though). I believe the coaches choose who competes in these sessions.

gotcha! and I guess there’s a formula for figuring out how many girls each gym gets to choose? We have 4 in that session which seems to be the max number but some only have 1. Are the some gyms that get none or does every team get to pick at least one person?

The general rule of thumb is 4 gymnasts per gym. However that can vary as not all gyms want to split their girls up (another session they have to coach, hard when teams are very small), some gyms don’t want to be in the premier session as it can be quite competitive and stressful. There are lots of other reasons gyms decline and it can be somewhat hard to fill those sessions at times. So, you’ll see some with 2and others with 6...

How each gym picks which 4 will go in that session can vary, but that process can also cause some angst....as I’m sure you can imagine.

Somebody told me some meets base it on who has qualified to JO nationals or Easterns/westerns before but that is secondhand info and may not be correct. Wonder if there is a score requirement for them maybe?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back