WAG Press handstand with vs without paralettes / floor bars / push up stands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I've been practising drills for press handstand, incl. press handstand from straddle stand on a raised surface. I slightly overtaxed my wrists so they needed rest for a week, and my physio suggested using a floor bar or push up stands for a bit to protect and strengthen my wrists.

Now I notice even with making the surface extra high for my feet, I really struggle to get a press handstand with push up stands, wether I turn them sideways or horizontal like a floor bar. Does anybody know why this could be? Does anybody have any tips? Does it use different muscles this way?

I would guess you just have to give your body some time to find the new balance. Before it was the surface of your hands you could use to balance. Now your wrists are carrying you and have to do the balancing. Focus on your core body and try to centralize it above your hands/wrists. It’s just a new feeling to get accustomed to. That’s it.

You’re trying to get your press handstand on the floor bar right? Something that helped me is pressing and then rolling out of it, you can also do straddle lowers where you get into a straddle and lower and lift your hips. You could also start by laying down to get momentum and slowly decrease that. It does seem like you need to rest your wrists a little when they are supporting your body. I hope this helps a little! 💗 P bars help to with the blocks.

You definitely want the parallettes to be parallel. You are on the right track raising your feet up. Beyond that, it’s just a matter of practice.

There are several press drills that can be done on elbows if you are trying to rest your wrists. As well as general strength and flexibility work that will make it easier to achieve.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Such a cool transition! 🤩

2024 Gymnastics For All GymFest

Back