MAG Prime Age

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I totally did not mean to hijack this thread with a brag. I am just perplexed that a state would deliberately not include the 11+ age group in qualifying for regionals. At our state meet this past Saturday, the 11+ age group was by far the largest out of the L5 session of 80 boys. Like 35-40 were 11+. And they were posting the highest AA scores of the session overall, so I guess you could say it was the most competitive age group. What a shame if they hadn't been able to be counted for regionals...

So, I guess the answer is no, then? lol.

In my state, in level 5's the top 8s have the highest scores, followed by the 7s and 9s. followed by the oldest kids. So, in our state, the top 'prime age' kids are doing better than the top older kids.

This is the same for the Level 6s in my state. except for a year older for each of the ages.

I totally did not mean to hijack this thread with a brag. I am just perplexed that a state would deliberately not include the 11+ age group in qualifying for regionals. At our state meet this past Saturday, the 11+ age group was by far the largest out of the L5 session of 80 boys. Like 35-40 were 11+. And they were posting the highest AA scores of the session overall, so I guess you could say it was the most competitive age group. What a shame if they hadn't been able to be counted for regionals...

Maybe it is a state thing? We had a big competition not too long ago that was a lot of our region, and that was the smallest age group. So maybe it is just the way this region has always done it, who knows! I just remember having kids at level 5 who could not advance to regionals because of their age.

They do in Region 7, though our boys' program only takes the optionals to regionals because he hates compulsories (the levels, not the boys!).

Do different levels go to regionals in different regions? Looks like perhaps they do. For us, as far as I know, there's no age limitation on going to regionals.

Our 5s go to regionals. The 4s do not. Only the upper age limit of 5s do not go to regionals. I think that could change, but I have no idea.

Of course, qualifying to regionals is a different story. Our 5s have to be in the top 20 or 30 in the state to go (2 should make it, but 2 are close). Our 6s have to have a 54 or 55. Again 1 is there, 1 is close, and 2 haven't hit that score yet. Beyond that, all of our higher levels have hit the score needed, so should make it to regionals. We will know Saturday! LOL!

I believe that if there are boys that are Level 5s that don't go to regionals, its the choice of the gym or perhaps the state.

I believe that if there are boys that are Level 5s that don't go to regionals, its the choice of the gym or perhaps the state.

It is our region that decides. they set the rules on who goes to regional.s

General rule for Regionals (both boys and girls) is that if Regionals is the highest/end of season meet for that level, than it is up to each Region to set the parameters (Q score, which levels get to go, age groups, etc). If Regionals serves as a qualifier to the next meet (Westerns,Easterns,Nationals), than all Regions must follow the same rules for that level, set by USAG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back