MAG Prime Age

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

J&A's mom

Proud Parent
Is there somewhere I can see the 'prime age' for the different levels? Does it change based on state or region? Is it always the same, or does it change with the code of points with the Olympic cycle?

Other than things like the "All State Team" where else does this affect them? Is there ever a chance of being 'too young' to be considered "Prime Age?"

I guess I don't understand your question. It seems like the JO levels manage this pretty clearly by having minimum ages for competing at different levels (i.e., 7 for L6, 9 for L7, 11 for L8, etc.). I know that in the previous cycle, they could compete "up," but I don't think that's possible in the current system.

I think, too, that by having ages that don't go to regionals, that helps too. Like Level 5 11+ does not do regionals. Not sure if there are others.

I don't think there is a "prime age" per se. Boys develop at such different rates, and I think the system allows for that.

profmom are the ages changing? It's not 9 for level 7 and 11 for level 8 currently. I know currently it's 7 for level 7 and I believe 8 for level 8, but not sure on that one.

I think you have to be 11 for level 8. 13 for level 6, and 15 for level 10 right now. The youngest fro level 6 is 7, level 7 is 9. You can be 10 at level 8 if you place in the top on Future Stars Nationals.

If it's a marathon for the girls, it's an ultra for the guys! (Gotta remember that line for my impatient DS . . .)

If it's a marathon for the girls, it's an ultra for the guys! (Gotta remember that line for my impatient DS . . .)

I'm going to explain this to my DS tonight. He is actually jealous that his younger sister gets to go more hours now than he does. I thought he was going to cry, and he usually doesn't cry about anything!

I think you have to be 11 for level 8. 13 for level 6, and 15 for level 10 right now. The youngest fro level 6 is 7, level 7 is 9. You can be 10 at level 8 if you place in the top on Future Stars Nationals.

I think you meant 13 for level *9* not level 6. :)

It seems the boys in the prime age group, no matter the level, do well. I remember thinking that it was weird how so many of the prime age group boys (no matter the level ) have higher all around scores than the boys in the non prime age group of the same level. It does seems weird that only "young" level 8 get to go to nationals 11-12 yrs and not 13 yr old level 8.

I don't think you can be "too young" to be considered prime age. That kid who is younger is thrown into the prime age group.

How you figure? My ds is competing as an 11 yo level 5 and just made all star team for AZ. Clearly, 11 yo can go to regionals.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

I think you meant 13 for level *9* not level 6. :)

I don't think you can be "too young" to be considered prime age. That kid who is younger is thrown into the prime age group.

Yes, that is what I meant. LOL!

I don't think you can "play up" anymore. I think they are trying to keep kids from doing that with the age groups. I remember reading that you have to be 11 to do Level 8, unless you qualify through future stars.

How you figure? My ds is competing as an 11 yo level 5 and just made all star team for AZ. Clearly, 11 yo can go to regionals.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

That's great. I know in our region, only the 7-8, and 9-10 age groups go to regionals. Not sure why they do it that way, unless it is sheer numbers.

When you do look at the age groups, they have defined some "prime ages" for the optionals. That being the ones that can go to nationals. 11-12 for level 8, 13-14 for level 9 and 15-18 for level 10. (those are also the minimum ages for those groups.)

listen guys, and if you're speaking about "prime age? for a boy? i can't really tell what you're discussing. but if it's that, the prime age for us is in our 20's gymnastically speaking. you can't safely do a lot of what the girls do at the same age young cause we would break. we aren't physically mature as the girl at the same age younger than 18. we surpass them in several things that we do gymnastically in our 20's.

and please, don't somebody come along and shoot me for saying surpass...:)

That was exactly the question, although I think some were wondering if USAG had defined some "prime ages" for certain levels. I agree, for boys, nothing really takes off until after puberty. I love to watch the boys in the gym at 17-18 when they just get thicker...thick necks, arms, etc. Then when they come home from college..WHOA! They are different gymnasts!!

At the last meet we attended, first place AA at L5 for the 7-8s was a 57 and change, first place for the 9-10 L5s was a 61 and change, and the 11+ winner had an eye-popping 65.5. Granted it was a small meet, but I don't think that's way off from what we've seen this year (though at some meets my vague memory is that the top scores in the youngest and second-youngest groups were closer). At some meets, the top score goes to that middle age group rather than the youngest, depending on whether that-gym-that-keeps-the-guys-at-L5-forever is there.

There are, I would guess, about 5 of the youngest L5s in our state who are breaking 60 this year. Their form is probably as good or better than some of the best older guys, but they just do not have the strength and size yet. (None of our little guys are in this group, in part because they don't compete bonuses unless and until they have excellent -- not just good -- form on the basic skills.)

What I think I know after a whole year and a half of owning and operating a boy who's going to meets (and, more importantly, getting to know the parents of our optional boys and the director of our boys' program) is that there are multiple ways to get there successfully for the guys. For the girls, yes, she does have to be getting to optionals pretty early to have a shot at going elite or getting a college scholarship unless the girl is quite exceptional. Lots of pressure, then, to move through compulsories and get the skills if a girl, her coach, and/or her parents has/have ambitions.

For the guys, though, some gyms keep them in compulsories longer and move them up slowly, and a couple or even three years in a level is not uncommon. Some gyms enthusiastically take guys who are starting gymnastics for the first time in their tweens or early teens and put 'em right on team and progress them one level per year. Our head coach has said many times that he hates compulsories, so his goal is to teach the little guys the routines well enough that they can do them competently but spend more time learning skills and developing them toward optionals so he can plunk 'em in L8 as soon as they're old enough. (His motto is, "If you're shaving, you're an optional!") So for example last week, our little guys were working on giants in straps rather than trying to get just a little more height in their tap swings so they could pick up those virtuosity tenths at states. The interesting thing is that these different approaches all seem to work, in terms of producing gymnasts who can succeed as optionals.

Azgymmiemom, congratulations! That is outstanding!

i think the "shaving" issue is probably a good metric. lol. :)

So, dunno, do they not look for boys to be X level by age y like they do with the girls? I have heard many times that girls need to be a level 10 by a certain age. I get the feeling that it isn't quite so much like that for the boys but was wondering what you think.

not necessary for the boys. it's a longer process. and for girls? they must hit it by the end of junior year if they plan on doing college gymnastics.:)

Good to know. My son seems to be on a bit slower path than others, and sometimes I worry about that. Not too much, but it is something we think about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back