WAG Private or no private? That is the question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Did you ever try to do the math on your DD's gymnastics journey?

Every time someone tells me it'll all be worth it when she gets a college scholarship. At 9, that's a nutty statement to begin with, but given the costs, a 529 is a far better investment financially speaking.

Every time someone tells me it'll all be worth it when she gets a college scholarship. At 9, that's a nutty statement to begin with, but given the costs, a 529 is a far better investment financially speaking.

Definitely true. But thank goodness we all see the value of the investment in our kids. Even those who don't stick at it until college age acquire so many great life skills.

If we didn't spend it on gym, we'd spend it on something else

Did you ever try to do the math on your DD's gymnastics journey?

I haven't done it per se, but it has roughly averaged 10 grand a year (including travel, coaches fees, tuition, assessments, leos etc) ...so 14 yrs at it would be $140,000...as Dunno would say "YIKES"!!!!

My daughter did get a college scholarship but even if she didn't do gymnastics, I can't say that I would have socked that money away in a college fund...It was worth it in the sense that gymnastics kept her grounded, gave her good organizational and study skills; kept her out of trouble, gave her a good group of friends, and in the end, she's getting her college education paid for but you're right , saving the money in a 529 (or similar type program) would be sounder financially. And when she was young, it wasn't like we put her in gymnastics so she "would get a college scholarship"...at such young ages, as you say, it's a nutty statement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back