WAG Privates lessons, good idea or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

roll123

Proud Parent
My daughter will be a level 4 this year and I was thinking about a few private lessons before her competition season starts. She is in the gym 13 hours a week but I thought maybe an hour or two of some one on one attention may help her fine tune a few things.
What do you think about private lessons?

Ask her coach. I am always honest with parents about whether or not I think their child good benefit from one!

Our experience was with that amount of hrs she should be getting in what she needs. For compulsory I only did privates before States. At level 5 I asked her coach if privates for beam would help but she said "no she has the skills its competition experience she needs". Talk with the coach and see what he/she suggests.

We have done a few more privates in the recent past. Our coach has levels 5-7/8 in the same 2 1/2 hour workout, so sometimes we need a little more time. I think it is up to you, the coach, and your gymnast. If your gymnast wants a little more time.

My daughter will be a level 4 this year and I was thinking about a few private lessons before her competition season starts. She is in the gym 13 hours a week but I thought maybe an hour or two of some one on one attention may help her fine tune a few things.
What do you think about private lessons?

Put your wallet away, just starting level 4 and doing 13 hours a week, she doesn't need any privates...you'll have plenty of opportunity to part with your money as she moves up the levels :)

Put your wallet away, just starting level 4 and doing 13 hours a week, she doesn't need any privates...you'll have plenty of opportunity to part with your money as she moves up the levels :)

Guess I should read more closely...I agree, at level 4 an with those hours,.....probably shouldn't need to do privates.

Yes do privates as long as your daughter is excited about them, but don't load her up on them, in other words one a week is enough. 13 hours is pretty average....

Yes do privates as long as your daughter is excited about them, but don't load her up on them, in other words one a week is enough. 13 hours is pretty average....[/quote]

Maybe I'm out of the loop but she's doing the new level 4 , which is the old level 3 (or preteam) , and 13 hours a week is "pretty average"? I 'm flabbergasted...

I think she is a new 4 which is the old 5. Not sure how that changes the hours :) My ds is a level 7 maybe 8 and does 13-15 a week.

Then 13 hrs a week makes more sense. Our 4s (old 5s) do 11 hrs a week (which is typical for our area).

As far as privates--ask her coach. Are a lot of her teammates doing them or does she seem to struggle with something in particular?

New lvl 4, I assume. I was a little surprised to find out last yr that teammates @ old lvl were taking privates. But it was the exception.

Now I have learned since that they may be recommended @ our gym to work on a specific skill/issue & usually close to an actual meet.

It's also nice to know it's used sparingly by our coaches. I'd wait till your daughter is actually vocalizing that she would like one to work on a specific skill - or coaches recommend it.

I think privates are good if a gymnast is trying to get a specific skill and can't get it. Privates allow that one on one attention to focus on the area of opportunities. An hour one on one can compare to a week of that apparatus depending on how much time you get on each apparatus.
I am not against one on ones.

==
Bookworm, new level 4 is old level 5, not the other way around.

*I am not a competitive gymnast, nor am I in the gym more than once a week anymore. (even though I'm trying to get in more haha)

Anyways, after suffering a concussion, I was only allowed to do gymnastics if I had supervision 24/7 during gym. So, we chose to do 1/2 hr privates. It has now been almost a year, and I feel I have benefited greatly from private lessons because I don't have to deal with kids who don't take gym seriously and take up everyone's time just complaining or fooling around

Yes, she is new level 4, thanks for all th input! I think we will wait a few weeks since we just came back from a 2 week break and then see how she feels about it.

Not as a standard course of training because anything covered in a private has to be solidified through daily training..... so you can only present and correct a limit number of concepts/skills/mistakes. Doing too much at a single private, or doing too many of them too close together will exceed most kids ability to absorb and make use of them.

So pretty much just do them when your child's coach feels he/she needs the one on one time to find a way to grasp a concept or accept a new mental model.

My DD takes weekly privates during competition season until she has the routines down. I don't know why but it takes her for-freakin'-EVER to remember what comes after what. I wonder if there is some kind of gymnastics-dyslexia I could have her tested for????

It is always so nice when she is released from her privates.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back