WAG punch to back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tlynn

Proud Parent
Sorry, this is a clueless gym mom question, but my DDs (L3) keep talking about working on their roundoff backhandspings. They seem to have been doing a bunch of progressions :wedge mat- spotted and then not, fasttrack trampoline (I think that is what it is called), and now on the tumble track. For all the progressions they seem to do it punching to back on to a mat. I know they need to do a punch for their L3 routine, but why punch to back rather than a regular punch? Just curious...

If you are describing what I think you are, it is to work on having proper rebound from the round-off in order to be able to connect a backhandspring. Rather than just round-off rebound onto the air, it's round-off snap down punch backwards onto your back on mat.

If you are describing what I think you are, it is to work on having proper rebound from the round-off in order to be able to connect a backhandspring. Rather than just round-off rebound onto the air, it's round-off snap down punch backwards onto your back on mat.
Sorry, I should have explained this better-- they do the roundoff, then backhandspring, then punch to back. But your answer still applies here, I think. I suspected it was to help prepare them to do a second handspring-- just wasn't sure why jumping backwards on to a mat would do that.

Sorry, I should have explained this better-- they do the roundoff, then backhandspring, then punch to back. But your answer still applies here, I think. I suspected it was to help prepare them to do a second handspring-- just wasn't sure why jumping backwards on to a mat would do that.
If it's a high mat it could be for a back-tuck.

If it's a high mat it could be for a back-tuck.
Oh, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. I will ask them if it is a high mat or not. I never watch their floor practice. When they told me they jump on to their backs on to a mat, I was imagining a smallish mat, but a high mat makes sense so that they would need to jump both up and back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back