Off Topic Puppy stuff

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is probably the most off topic on a gymnastics forum you can get but oh well. I may get a golden retriever puppy in the near future, and I think my parents are about to crack so I’m making a power point lol. On the power point, I’m listing all expenses. If I get a puppy, I know it will grow, so for things such as a bed, do I get a smallish one that it will out grow once it is through with puppyhood or do I get a large one that it can grow into. In addition to that, what do you suggest getting in terms of treats, toys, etc. Also if any parents out there have things that your kids have done to convince you, I would love to know. TIA!

The bigger cost to me is the time and commitment

A puppy is fun but it grows to be a dog, it is still a sentient social creature and it absolutely does not deserve to be left in the back yard 95% of the time ignored until it suits you.

Develop a relationship with a few breeders and then choose the breeder that best meets your needs. Anyone who will just give you a puppy without you filling in a extensive survey is probably someone who is purely in it for profit and not healthy breeding. Make sure they do all the relevant health tests for the breed. Great breeders will often do extra tests outside the standard breed tests.

Know the traits of the breed, what activities will fulfil their needs, can you provide this? Bloodhounds excel at scent work, not so much agility for example. Are you able to provide enough physical and mental stimulation for the dog?

Management and training ahead of potential problems is the best 'fix' just like gymnastics. There is an excellent FB group 'Dog Training Advice and support' with many guides you can read to understand dogs and how to train and enrich their lives. It's run by professions and there is no rouge advice, its all backed by science and evidence. Kikopup on youtube has a heap of great videos.

As far as financial costs
What are you planning on feeding the dog? Better food - will reduce potential vet visits
Insurance is a must
Immunizations and parasite preventatives/treatments
Who is looking after the dog when you go away? Kennel cost?
Grooming?
Dental health care? I believe golden retrievers are more prone to dental issues (diet and cooperative care are extra important)
Crate - if you are wanting to crate train
Harness/ leash
Registration fees
Cleaning products for when you stuff up and the puppy has an accident inside.

Puppies can be expensive and very time consuming - if you are talking about a breeder than can run in the 100's to 1000s, not to mention all the vet bills, supplies food. OR if its a "free puppy", that is going to have vet bills - from first shots to worming to parasite/insect preventative, spaying/neutering, etc...its not cheap. However, here our local shelter has many many puppies or dogs that come already fixed/vetted/vaccinated for about $100, and include the first set-up vet visit as well, so that is an option that can be much cheaper in the long run. You will still have annual vetting, food, supplies, flea/tick preventative, boarding if you travel without them, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back