Parents "push on the bars"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BlueSky

Proud Parent
My DD(10) is known to be very focused in practice and exact with corrections. So...she overthinks things on occasion! Her latest correction to help her giant is to "push on the bars". She doesn't understand how to do this without having something to anchor against - or just how to do it. Yes, she's asked coach but it's just not sinking into her brain and I have no idea so adding to frustration. Would someone please help restate this correction in another way so it may trigger her 'ah ha' moment? Thank you!

The best thing to do would be to say "coach, could you spot me on the push so I know where to do it? I'm not sure how." If she can't do that, email the coach. I would rather know than have her trying to get advice from others who haven't seen it. This is a very common correction/problem and relates to the fact that most kids don't extend for as long as they should on the initial descent for the skill, and/or don't open their shoulders on the shift. Usually both. Drills will be needed to correct both.

Kick handstand on floor, put hand around back of neck so thumb and fingers are on each side of neck, tell her to push so tall that she squishes your fingers with her shoulders.

Mine is going through this......pushing so hard on the bar that now she forgot where to put the tap. [emoji21]

Just as general advice, it is never wrong for a gymnast to say to the coach "I'm not quite understanding what you're asking. Can you tell me in different words or show me". I can't imagine any coach ever getting upset with a respectful request for help. After all, we've all seen a kid struggle and struggle with a skill only to have a different coach come over, say a few words, and BAM! fixed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back