WAG question about bars deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JO Code, pages 75 and 77: "If the circle element finishes within 11*-20* degrees of vertical, the 0.05 deduction for insufficient amplitude is NOT applied at Level 8." (and level 7, and level 6...)

but the circling element refers to a clear/free hip, etc., not the cast, correct?

JO Code, pages 75 and 77: "If the circle element finishes within 11*-20* degrees of vertical, the 0.05 deduction for insufficient amplitude is NOT applied at Level 8." (and level 7, and level 6...)
Thanks- missed that part!

Ok, I get the clear hip deductions but the cast before the clear hip if it is above 45* but not to vertical, what is that deduction. Here is my DD's last bar routine and I think she got at least .1 or .2 on her low bar cast since it was not to handstand. . Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't think the coaches are pushing for her to cast to handstand even though I know she can as she does it on the high bar easily!

Great routine! I love that your DD still pike glides into her kip! It's so clean looking.

The deal is that while you get credit for casts and clear hips above horizontal, they aren't done to the common maximum for that skill. The deductions are to separate those who finish at or near a handstand to those who don't.

It's that way with many skills. Consider a back tuck on floor that is done just high enough to land without the judges wanting to get up and spot. It's a back tuck, it gets credit, but is nowhere near the normal average and not even in the same conversation as the tuck done well by the most accomplished kid in the meet. Those small deduction are what separate the very best from the average, and the average from the kids who are barely ready to compete.

That's just the way it the gymnastics cookie crumbles.

Ignore my careless confusion. I mentioned horizontal as the line between credit and no credit, but after reading again through all the posts I'll defer to gympanda on the line that divide credit and no credit, and to all others participating in the clear hip angle discussion.

The context of my post remains the same. These are deductions for how these skills are performed once they meets the minimum performance standards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back