Parents Question about heel cups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
My dd mentioned some heel pain, but says it's "just from doing front tucks on laser beam, which makes everyone's heels hurt." Still, I'd like to be proactive if possible. I've read on here about heel cups/shoe inserts. Question: do I just pick those up at the drug store, or do I need to make an appointment w/ a podiatrist to get them? Any tips on what type to get?

TIA!

Last edited:
Ordered DD's from Amazon.

That said, I don't know that I would rush out and buy them without a coach or health professional recommending them. It's great to be proactive about pain and injury prevention, but I'd first mention it to coach.

And if it persists, I'd consider having her see a doctor.

I don't know that heel cups are meant to be used long term, maybe unless a doc/coach suggests during a longterm flare up of severs. My DD wore them briefly while recovering from an achilles issue. They did help, but as soon as she recovered, she discontinued use.

IMO, it's not so much like using wrist supports (like Tiger Paws). And once they start with those, they usually continue needing them.

Icing at home may also help (one coach recommended freezing a water bottle and rolling it under the heel...). Anyway, just my .02.

Agree with l.c.o on all counts. DD wears cheetah cups (bought from amazon, she has Severs). She has worn one on one foot for quite some time now, i would say a year to 18mo. When it was really bad, she wore one on each foot but when it is "dormant" she gets by with one.
Talk to your coach. Some stuff on beam is higher impact and hurts more, but it could be temporary.Icing the heel and massaging the calves may be more beneficial. :)

My dd mentioned some heel pain, but says it's "just from doing front tucks on laser beam, which makes everyone's heels hurt." Still, I'd like to be proactive if possible. I've read on here about heel cups/shoe inserts. Question: do I just pick those up at the drug store, or do I need to make an appointment w/ a podiatrist to get them? Any tips on what type to get?

TIA!
My DD has Severs and wears the Cheetah heel cups (without the attached ankle support, just the heel cup) in her shoes at all times. BUT - she only uses them at gym (coach tapes them to her heel) when the pain has reached a certain level. She finds that icing and stretching can usually mitigate the pain on most days. Its something that will be with her for some time, so it important that she learn how to manage the pain. DDs coach was very instrumental in helping her find the stretching, icing and taping routine that works best!

Thanks very much for the great advice! I think I used the wrong term for what I was thinking about. I think I was thinking more about orthotics -- those insoles that go in your shoes for extra support, versus something she would wear in training.

I feel like I've read that supportive shoes and such can be beneficial in preventing injuries and issues, but perhaps I'm overthinking it and should just wait to see if it becomes a problem.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks very much for the great advice! I think I used the wrong term for what I was thinking about. I think I was thinking more about orthotics -- those insoles that go in your shoes for extra support, versus something she would wear in training.

I feel like I've read that supportive shoes and such can be beneficial in preventing injuries and issues, but perhaps I'm overthinking it and should just wait to see if it becomes a problem.

Any thoughts on that?

One of the first thing that the Dr. said when we took DD to him for Severs was "wear better shoes"! He said that Converse and flip flops we the worst for little feet! (of course DD wore both of those!). He definitely advocated for a light but supportive shoe. DD does wear the heel cups in her shoes for extra support. You could always get some sort of insole, but a good shoe should provide all you need

Dd has this trouble but I can always tell when she's had a growth spurt. She suddenly is wearing both cheetah cups at gym. We ice & stretch at home before & after gym & I give her ibuprofen before gym. Now, I hadn't heard about wearing "good shoes". That is great info that nobody has told me before!! She wears uggs constantly!!

Any thoughts on that?
If you're thinking orthotics, then I am thinking that a trip to the podiatrist might be in your future

Back in college, I was in a show choir, and we had to rehearse in the shoes we would perform in. This meant 9+ hours a week dancing in two-inch heels. I needed orthotics for those dance shoes, or I would have never survived. I went to a podiatrist to get them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back