Parents Questions about training elite…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
If she has all of that on her events then she should be able to get the qualifying scores. It has to be a form or falls for her to get in the low 40s
A fall is actually what stopped her from qualifying last year even with her low start value on bars. And it was on a skill she normally nails (back tuck on beam), but that's how it goes sometimes. If she doesn't fall, she would've been over 45.

The problem we’re having is her current gym doesn’t normally train elite. They do have former national team members as coaches and other experiences in the elite world, and they do have a good reputation training JO. They're incredibly supportive of my daughter’s goals and are willing to train her again this year because they believe she has the talent.

Based on what you have said in the rest of the thread... this does not seem to be a problem. I would stay there. If there is a time for a move it will be very clear.

A smaller, up & coming gym will be more open to “trying” elite. If you go to a big, established elite gym- you only will be considered elite (and grouped accordingly) after you have achieved that elite score & had some success. Until then, they most likely will group a gymnast in a Hopes/L9 or 10 group. If she’s turning 14 this year, this something you should seriously start looking into now. Those established programs will want a significant time to have your daughter train as a trial. The perk of a bigger program would be training partners as well as other families to split costs with- as well as coaches with experience in elite-and established elite programs are VERY different than straight DP programs. The cons are needing to be established as an elite 1st and being in a situation where they hold all the cards.

Based on her age, I would switch gyms after the Vegas qualifier - presuming she scores 7.6-7.8 in E score except for bars, breaks a 13.2 on vault, and breaks a 12.6 on fx. You don't want to start at an elite gym in the last year of your junior eligibility. It's a tough call because I would always move immediately because time is extremely valuable for a 13yo, but dropping into an elite gym if you have not already achieved a base score nearly always means spending a full season at Level 10 before you test again.

The skills listed are very standard for a strong Level 10 of her age, but there are many types of strong Level 10s. I saw Jade Carey not qualify for JO nationals as a nearly 14yo, but it was abundantly clear she could achieve anything in gymnastics she wanted to pursue.

Based on her age, I would switch gyms after the Vegas qualifier - presuming she scores 7.6-7.8 in E score except for bars, breaks a 13.2 on vault, and breaks a 12.6 on fx. You don't want to start at an elite gym in the last year of your junior eligibility. It's a tough call because I would always move immediately because time is extremely valuable for a 13yo, but dropping into an elite gym if you have not already achieved a base score nearly always means spending a full season at Level 10 before you test again.

The skills listed are very standard for a strong Level 10 of her age, but there are many types of strong Level 10s. I saw Jade Carey not qualify for JO nationals as a nearly 14yo, but it was abundantly clear she could achieve anything in gymnastics she wanted to pursue.
100% agree.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back